Killing Sweetgums

ALwoodsman

I have an old field that has a few areas that have been overtaken with sweetgum saplings. I have been bush hogging them but need to treat them with something because they are just getting worse every year. I thought about spraying with Gly once they start to leaf out this spring. Any suggestions?

Tordon rtu will kill almost anything. Comes in a squirt bottle. It will travel through the soil to the roots of desirable trees.

Triclopyr (remedy) is another option.

If glyphosate doesn't work you can try the two above. All 3 work best immediately after a cut stump. You can also do a basal bark treatment by mixing with diesel and spraying in the first 6" of trunk when using triclopyr.

It's all nasty stuff so wear some good gloves.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Stump treating with straight gly kills them for me. Like jteeen said, do it soon after the cut.

But remember - when the last man on this earth takes his last breath, there will be a coyote treeing a coon in a sweet gum tree.
Don't forget the rats and mice.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Stump treating with straight gly kills them for me. Like jteeen said, do it soon after the cut.

But remember - when the last man on this earth takes his last breath, there will be a coyote treeing a coon in a sweet gum tree.

Yeah, I normally treat them this way but didn't this time. This time of year with the sap rising I don't have much luck treating the stumps.

Back