Jealousy

The more success you have the less jealousy you will have for others success. If you work your butt off year in and year out and never even see a big deer but your neighbor is always showing you the slobs they kill of their place then you would naturally be jealous of that...reason I don't show any neighbors anything...

If we all live on a whitetail paradise like some and can pick and chose which 5.5+ year old buck to take then there will be no jealousy...unfortunately that doesn't happen for over 95% of us (may even be 99%)...

You are correct Baker. Too often you see folks lean toward the jealous/resentment side of things. I see that all the time around here. If you get a guy that consistently kills big deer he is automatically a poacher or one of those guys that trespasses on everyone to get a target buck etc. Sometimes that is true but more often than not it is a guy that just out works everyone else in the area. You see these guys that hunt 6 or 7 days a year during gun season and are in the woods just after day break and out of the woods before 9 am then go to the local restaurant with their hunting clothes on smoke a few cigarettes and maybe drink a couple beer then head back into the woods about 4 pm for the last hour of light. They then complain that the guy just across the fence kills a giant every year and can't figure out why they can't. To top it off they get offended when you explain to them why it doesn't work out so well for them.

This is a good topic. I know plenty of hunters that are exactly like you describe. Someone in the club gets a nice buck and he kind of skulks off not happy. But if that hunter kills a nice buck, he wants to show everyone! Most know how he is so they congratulate him and move on while he continues to run his mouth. Poor sportsmanship, sore loser.

When my brother and I bought our land, over the years he has taken many more deer than I have. I always knew he may have taken more deer but I've taken the biggest.

I admire people who kill bigger deer than me, even when it can be attributed to sheer luck (right place, right time, no scouting, etc).
I'm not a Buddhist or anything, nor new ager, but I am superstitious to a degree. I think negative vibes and a bad attitude works against us in the woods. Even if that's not true, anger and resentment is terrible on the human body. Adrenaline's only meant for survival situations or intense exercise. LOL.

Last year I had a neighbor get a nice buck that I had pictures of all summer. I would've been thrilled to have gotten it. Prior to his ownership, the property was overly hunted and nothing brown was safe. I wouldn't not have had a snowballs chance of ever connecting if it wasn't for him. He has definitely earned any buck he kills. I'm in a great situation of very little trespassing, great management, and great neighbors. My acreage is small but is part of about 1400 acres between 4 owners. I'm blessed beyond my comprehension. Sure I want the big ones but there is plenty of opportunity for all of us.

In always happy when a neighbor or hunter kills a great buck on legal property with legal means. It's a thrill to just see the deer up close.

The good deer on cams are shared between all the neighbors. Makes for a great, extended, deer hunting camp and to really see what a large area can produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back