ID please..

G3 Ranch

Have a bunch of this in my food plot, noticed some browsed ..
b597e206dfa2b194c35634504bb74846.jpg
f3696bb55a5ab976ecf62e109f1930c0.jpg
c5d9d409d3470ac41cb587a1b37484b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Similar to coltsfoot Tussilago farfara, if not that.
Everywhere here but deer don't touch as far as I have seen.

It's an annual plant, so if you can keep it from going to seed that should eliminate it. As late in the year as it is now, you could mow it and I don't think it could rebound quickly enough to seed.

I did the same thing yesterday. I had lambs quarter to come up thick in one of my plots planted this year. It was close to having viable seed, but I stopped it. I barely clipped the tops of the food plot species and they will rebound quickly, but the lambs quarter was taller and got a good hammering.

It's an annual plant, so if you can keep it from going to seed that should eliminate it. As late in the year as it is now, you could mow it and I don't think it could rebound quickly enough to seed.

I did the same thing yesterday. I had lambs quarter to come up thick in one of my plots planted this year. It was close to having viable seed, but I stopped it. I barely clipped the tops of the food plot species and they will rebound quickly, but the lambs quarter was taller and got a good hammering.

Thank you Sir,

Your advice is very much appreciated. I'll get after it with the bush hog this weekend if it's not too wet...wishful thinking.

Thank you Sir,

Your advice is very much appreciated. I'll get after it with the bush hog this weekend if it's not too wet...wishful thinking.

The only thing I ruined in my plot by mowing was daikon radishes. It looks like a radish massacre.:D But it doesn't matter because I have more than enough left in other spots, and its looking like they aren't going to care about them anyway. Unless I see some browsing this year I'm done with ALL brassicas forever. On the other hand, my deer eat chicory like candy, so for me it's going to be cereal grains, chicory and clover from now on. I actually had some of that planted in the place I mowed, and now that I've whacked the other stuff it should come on really well.

Good luck with yours!

Deer on the Hollow don't seem to like PTT from what I recall last year when we had them but they did eat Radishes from a BOB mix I put out so this year I did both plots in radishes and they have been hammering them but with the very little rain we receive the radishes are still small. I would like to have growing years like we had last fall every year but I am afraid what we are having now is more the norm :(

Thanks j-bird
Looks to be it from a search.
Any idea how to kill/control it at this stage? I have the LC mix + chicory & alfalfa in this plot
Like Native said - just mow it. Heck if the deer are eating it - let them! Just keep it from producing seed. Only way I would mess with it is if it is preventing germination or growth of something better. It will die once you get a good frost.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks NH,
I'd sacrifice a few radish to help the alfalfa & chicory. This is the plot that had the armyworm damage. I did spread some more rye & oats on top hoping to get it to fill back in. With most of the rye gone I'm getting horsenettle & velvetleaf.

Deer on the Hollow don't seem to like PTT from what I recall last year when we had them but they did eat Radishes

The deer seem to be eating the radish. I need to get a better look, I was glassing from 250 yards and could see them getting mouthfuls of something green, maybe it was the velvetleaf?

Like Native said - just mow it. Heck if the deer are eating it - let them! Just keep it from producing seed. Only way I would mess with it is if it is preventing germination or growth of something better. It will die once you get a good frost.

Mowing sounds like the best idea. I do have some expensive seed in this portion of the plot, I'd like to limit the competition.

Back