I Guess they Like the Plot

I have tried to look at my south plot 3 times in the past 2 weeks and it is covered in Turkey's every time I walk out there, see Turkey's on it trough the trees so I just turn around and head back home...

Better scout the woods and find their calendars.
I expanded that south plot from .6 of an acre to 2.2 acres this winter and the turkeys are on it full time I guess...I see them on the plot through the trees so I just turn around and head back...If they keep this up Turkey opener should be pretty well cut and dry...I need to put up a blind real soon over there so they can get used to it...

I know, but if you don't get that calendar, they'll know EXACTLY when opening day is. Personally I wouldn't do a thing to change anything. I'd wait, slip in Opening Day, and bust the heck out of one. Build you a good blind this summer for next year.

I haven't ever had an issue with them getting used to a blind.I usually set them right in the open,sometimes the same morning before daylight

Looks good! I take it the expansion of the plot got them in there more regularly? As someone said before you could literally throw a pop up blind either that morning in the dark or the night before in the dark and be totally fine turkeys do not care! I've had turkeys literally come and look in my blind window that I put up that morning... spooking deer out of a field in pitch darkness will not bother the birds at all in the roost I've done it a million times they are so used to deer spooking from predators.. as long as they don't see you or hear you in the dark you are fine

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Also keep in mind it's still March.. Idk where your from or when your season starts.. here in Ohio not until April24th and the birds are still flocked up right now! In the next month you will see a couple birds breaking off here and there so if your season doesn't start till ours don't be discouraged if you don't see or hear as many as you do right now it's just all part of natural habit

Looks good! I take it the expansion of the plot got them in there more regularly? As someone said before you could literally throw a pop up blind either that morning in the dark or the night before in the dark and be totally fine turkeys do not care! I've had turkeys literally come and look in my blind window that I put up that morning... spooking deer out of a field in pitch darkness will not bother the birds at all in the roost I've done it a million times they are so used to deer spooking from predators.. as long as they don't see you or hear you in the dark you are fine

The expansion isn't what did it...they have always loved this field...now there is just more of it...

The deer come in after daylight so snorting and foot stomping and running sometimes will spook a bird...

Also keep in mind it's still March.. Idk where your from or when your season starts.. here in Ohio not until April24th and the birds are still flocked up right now! In the next month you will see a couple birds breaking off here and there so if your season doesn't start till ours don't be discouraged if you don't see or hear as many as you do right now it's just all part of natural habit

Oh, I will have plenty of opportunity...April 6th is ours and if I get out it shouldn't take long. I have killed many a turkey in my years and several have been taken while I was bowhunting deer from a tree stand...

I was painting the well house this evening and a bird was gobbling his head off 100 yards away...

The expansion isn't what did it...they have always loved this field...now there is just more of it...

The deer come in after daylight so snorting and foot stomping and running sometimes will spook a bird...

Hmm I've never had that happen to me... I blow deer out of the fields almost every time walking in.. they snort all over the place make all kinds of noise and the birds will still pitch right down into the field every time.. but I go in almost an hour and a half or so before it even cracks daylight to let it all settle.. Do the birds roost right off of the plot? And ok your guy's season is coming up quick then

Back