I did a thing...

OkieKubota

Staff member
For quite some time I have wanted a Marlin 45/70 but the few times I had an opportunity to buy one nobody had ammo. A few months back I was in Atwood’s and they had a few boxes of Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain bullets so I bought them with no gun in sight. About that time I saw adds showing that Ruger had acquired Marlin and the 1st models they would put out is the 1895 SBL and Trapper. I looked everywhere to no avail and finally put my name on wait list at several gun shops in the area.

A couple weeks ago I got a call from one of those shops that said a Marlin box came in. I said I will be there in an hour because it’s an hour drive and I headed out immediately. I didn’t know if it was an SBL or Trapper and I didn’t care. I arrived and they had opened the box and slightly ripped the box which I wasn’t super happy about because this may be a collector. It was the SBL so I made the deal and they told me they usually keep ammo back for rifles they sell but unfortunately they didn’t have any 45-70. Anyway here it is and I hope to use it on deer and hogs this fall...My 30-30 may come out some this fall but most of the time I want to use this one. I like the ghost ring sights and wanted to be able to use them if possible some and I found a way with my old standby see under mounts I use on all of my lever guns...

60ba74fad219ee86237da88f442b4508.jpg

910eac736856bd5ca13daffc0db58b75.jpg

44d09481933ed8466a5165d037ee3b29.jpg

c6aca2e782af9f5d09b16a80ba104d66.jpg

7cead2cade5228caa8cbd4c2aec4d329.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good lookin gun,there is a guy on bowsite that had one customed for alaska,broke down and kreacote finish.My daughter won a 30-30 at a QDMA banquet several years ago and won't shoot it that looks like that rifle

Good lookin gun,there is a guy on bowsite that had one customed for alaska,broke down and kreacote finish.My daughter won a 30-30 at a QDMA banquet several years ago and won't shoot it that looks like that rifle
Marlin sold to Remington in 2007 and they built Marlins until they went bankrupt in 2020. Many of the “Remlins” were plagued with quality issues and I feared they would never be the gun John Marlin built. When I heard Ruger had acquired Marlin and would start producing them starting with the Model 1895 I had hope again! They just started coming out in January and it is impeccable as far as I can tell for fit and finish but I haven’t fired it yet...

That 45-70 speaks with authority Okie, and that’s a great platform for it. I’ll bet you hang onto that for a long time.

Beautiful Gun.

I was working at a Walmart Sporting Goods Dept when the last of the Marlins were built and sent out. Remington was moving everything to their NY Location. The last gun we got in was a .22 semi auto and it looked like a Pissed Off Employee had taken the gun by the barrel and swung as hard as they could and broke the stock at the grip.

My Boss contacted their Remington Rep and they replaced the gun.

A beautiful piece. Plans for upgrading to a silver scope or no? Hopefully you educated them on how highly some people prize the factory box that a firearm gets shipped in.

A beautiful piece. Plans for upgrading to a silver scope or no? Hopefully you educated them on how highly some people prize the factory box that a firearm gets shipped in.
No on the scope...I have had the silver finish before on them and I never liked the look. On the box I was like “really, it just has flaps and folds”. It’s still in unfired condition at this point as my wife has me building a chicken coop and run every spare moment and the rest of the time I am working...lol

Back