Hydraulic implements help

Gator

I have a new grapple for the tractor. I recently took it off during the winter and connected the two hoses together (as has been recommended to me to do). That said, I tried to hook up the grapple the other day and there was so much pressure on the hoses that I couldn't just discconect them as normal. I had to use channel-locks and a hammer to get the slip ring to disengage and then with the two hoses disconnected from one another I still couldn't get them to connect to tractor. I then tried slamming the end of the hose with the protruding pin into the end of the grapple itself trying to relieve some pressure. That didn't work so then I had to use the channel-locks to squeeze the pin in to release the pressure from the hose.

Is there a better way? Soon I'll have most of this stored under roof which I think will help as it was sitting in the sun which I'm sure increased the pressure quite a bit.

Crack the line on grapple to release fluid. If pressure is on tractor side, shut tractor off an wiggle the joystick to release pressure. Always have grapple down an pressure off when u unhook will make hookups easier.
Hope you been well.

Crack the line on grapple to release fluid. If pressure is on tractor side, shut tractor off an wiggle the joystick to release pressure. Always have grapple down an pressure off when u unhook will make hookups easier.
Hope you been well.
We turn the tractor off, rotate the joystick 3-4 times in a circle to release the pressure, unhook the grapple and join the hoses together. Repeat this process with any hydraulic implement. This helps tremendously. I still have a little trouble hooking the grapple back up sometimes, but its not like it used to be when we first got it since doing the steps mentioned.

Pressure was on the grapple side. The only thing I can figure is since it was cold when I disconnected and very hot when I tried to reconnect that the fluid had expanded to cause the pressure.

I don't think the outside temp would have anything to do with it. You can get little rubber caps for those hose ends to keep the dust and dirt off during storage. That solves one problem, I never like coupling hoses as it causes the problems you described. Releasing the pressure before disconnecting is the key. Some equipment has a pressure relief valve or evacuation dump just to make it easier if not, then as was suggested turn the tractor off and move the joystick all the way in several directions will make it easier.

Had that happen once. But I was able to push the ball in a bit to relieve pressure. Do as above and take off only after pressure low, if you can figure how to do that

Plugging the hoses together to keep dirt out is a neat trick. Until you run into the pressure thing. Dust caps are the answer. And I always clean hydraulic fittings with a rag or paper towel before plugging in, this really helps to save your seals!

Maybe I've just gotten lucky in the past as I've never had this issue before. The lid on the grapple will normally slam shut once I connect the hoses together which I assumed was leveling the pressures...

Back