Hybrid Rye

Anyone here ever planted hybrid rye? Talking to the dealer, apparently you can seed at 1/3 the rate of VNS. (cost of 1 bag of hybrid is same as 3 bags of VNS) My fear would be that if it gets browsed too early, you won't get the necessary biomass you may with the VNS. Thoughts?

Dealer - https://kingsagriseeds.com/product/kws-propower-hybrid-rye/
https://www.kws.com/gb/en/products/cereals/hybrid-rye/variety-overview-hybrid-rye/kws-propower/
They are my favorite source of seeds. But I don't buy my grain seed there, I buy bin run from the local feed mill for $10 to $20 per hundred. I respect Kings, but I call bs on planting 1/3 with the same results, because I've bought those expensive seeds, and the difference wasn't worth the cost. Anyway, to answer your question, about any size rye planting will outgrow deer browsing, especially since they don't hit it hard until after the freeze. The one thing that you have to be careful with fall rye is that if you plant too early the rye grows too thick and tall by frost, then the tops of the clumps die and kind of rot or decay on top of the green bottoms and smother the growth. If rye is planted too early it can be mowed to help prevent this from happening. Note: if you struggle to handle weeds and you plant bin run seeds that aren't cleaned there may be some more weed seeds along, although I do this all the time and don't really notice a huge difference.

I think we'll go with VNS . This is in a diverse blend, so my calculations are with VNS and not the hybrid. Depending on how hard it gets browsed, we can always overseed more later to fill in any gaps.

Heavy browsing won't cause gaps in rye, it can be grazed right to the dirt and it will keep on growing. Deer have kept our strips of rye at 1" high all fall and winter during years that we didn't plant enough, and it just keeps growing back.

Heavy browsing won't cause gaps in rye, it can be grazed right to the dirt and it will keep on growing. Deer have kept our strips of rye at 1" high all fall and winter during years that we didn't plant enough, and it just keeps growing back.
Which seems like a good reason to avoid the hybrid. Fewer seeds/plants would lead to less above ground growth, as the hybrid needs time/growth to spread out. (Kings rep used the word "tiller")

Back