Grapple

bearcat

Is the FEL grapple with 2 independent top jaws that much better than a single jaw?
Without have any grapple experience, I can’t tell if I’m just getting a sales pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it helpful for moving trees that haven’t had all limbs removed. Believe I get a more reliable grab on uneven surfaces this way.

It is much better for grabbing anything that has an irregular shape. I have had both at one time or another and the two jaws is far better overall.

I have both a grapple and clam shell 4 in 1 bucket. I can honestly say I don’t know what I did before owning a clam shell. I use the grapple for moving brush but find the clam shell does the trick most times.

3/4's of the time I use the grapple for pushing brush and other trash with the top wide open, straight up. It keeps the brush from jumping over the bucket onto the hood of the tractor, and allows a bigger pile to be pushed. I find pushing piles to where I want them to be a lot faster and more efficient than closing the grapple, picking the pile up, and moving it.

What are your thoughts on the size of grapple? I was originally thinking 66”-72”, but now I wondering if a 60” would be better for working in tight spots

Two piece grapple is better imo. I tried a single and hated it. As for size, any red blooded American knows bigger is always better!
What size machine are you putting it on? I would make sure you are at least as wide or wider than your tracks/tires.
I have a 84” now and really like it.

I have a Wildkat 84" root rake grapple with a one piece top jaw, bought in NJ for $1650 new. Like Farmer, I think wider is better. A one piece jaw is better for brush and smaller material, a two piece jaw is better for moving stumps and logs.
d84fcc98d049481e4cd042cc3710eaf0.jpg

What are your thoughts on the size of grapple? I was originally thinking 66”-72”, but now I wondering if a 60” would be better for working in tight spots

I try to keep all implements just as wide as the tractor. It just seems to help judging clearance. But I'm a little gunshy about clipping things. The eyes aren't as good as they used to be. :)

I try to keep all implements just as wide as the tractor. It just seems to help judging clearance. But I'm a little gunshy about clipping things. The eyes aren't as good as they used to be. :)
I like buckets and other front end excavating attachments to be wider than the machine by six inches or so. This allows a blade, grapple, or bucket to cut an inside corner without the machine wheels or tracks pushing me away from the bank. It also give the machine wheels and tracks a wider surface for traction without loose material falling in under the wheels. But I know what you are saying, hitting unwanted stuff is the bane of running large (and sometimes small) equipment. I continuously preach this message to trainees; When running equipment always give yourself a margin of error.

Thanks for the feedback. My tractor dealer has a CL4 compact 72" dual lid grapple that he said he would discount. I wasn't originally thinking that big, but it would be cheaper than the 60" or 66". The weight difference is only 18 lbs to move up each size. I guess I'll just have to keep the chainsaw handy:)

Back