Goldenrod Contol

dogghr

Any suggestions on sprays for goldenrod in alfalfa/chicory /clover??
Mowing helps bit I’m not at farm as often these days and it has become a nuisance. Only real unwanted weed in my plots. It’s one of the few weeds or grasses that bug me as it creates too much shade. Ph and analysis are optimum.
If no solutions I’ll do a gly tx next spring when clover is healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...Jzcw/episode/QnV6enNwcm91dC0xMDg2MjI0OQ?ep=14

Here is a podcast with Dr Craig Harper that might change your mind on spraying your goldenrod. Goldenrod is highly selective and attractive to both deer and turkey. I wouldn't spray it but I drink every drop of Kool aid Craig mixes.

Thanks. I see no use of goldenrod on my place by deer. My fallow fields are thickets of such and I love it for screening. But over abundance in a plot is not good and I am very tolerant of weeds and grasses. I like Harper typically but sometimes his coolaid is mixed w Vodka.

If one looks in background of close shot of clover/chicory the goldenrod can be seen before mowing. Pretty thick albeit short.
Second pick are my fields in background thick w the Rod which I like for screening.
10+ yo clover plot.
3e9d73993ec0cb9f5e2983b22ff031b1.jpg

05df8de1b9f2f124a36afc3242783a05.jpg

For $110 here is a solution. See link below. You could do it just before the chicory bolts and is still low to the ground. The goldenrod should be plenty high enough above the other species by that time.
Greenleaf 5' String Wing Wick Applicator Weed Wiper | SW | Barndoor Ag

Yes, I agree that I only want goldenrods in my prairie and not in my foodplots.

Negative. No more equipment purchases by me. Looks like a gly mix next May is in order.

I listened to the dr craig link and he made no attempt to dissuade dogghr from spraying or mowing a problem patch of goldenrod.

Craig wasn't on the sauce.

G

ugh goldenrod is the death of me trying to create pollinator habitat.......feel like you need to almost erradicate from any field surrounding where you start prior to working up for like 2-3 years of spraying to stand a chance....i'm just guessing as i haven't been successful thus far, stuff is so aggressive and sucks the life out of the top layer of any moisture for anything else.

ugh goldenrod is the death of me trying to create pollinator habitat.......feel like you need to almost erradicate from any field surrounding where you start prior to working up for like 2-3 years of spraying to stand a chance....i'm just guessing as i haven't been successful thus far, stuff is so aggressive and sucks the life out of the top layer of any moisture for anything else.

In my fallow fields I find if you mow Goldenrod short in late Aug -early Sept it will set it back for several years. Of course it’s 6ft tall by then and I don’t want that in my clover. It is a cheap and easy screen and I use it to my advantage but it is an early stage of secessional growth thus very aggressive.

Let me make it clear to new plotters that when I mow weeds in July or Aug the mower is set high so none of the clover or chicory is mowed. Clover does not need to be mowed anytime honestly and definitely not in the heat and drought of summer.

Here’s a good example of my goldenrod in clover. Granted , this is my Buffalo plot that self planted and receives no input but you can see the WC to the right beneath the mowed Goldenrod.
a5ed0f3968bd4accc573b87aad55c6ad.jpg

Anyone want to trade some goldenrod for sericea lespedeza? I would love to have a goldenrod problem in my plots b/c that means i have it elsewhere on my property.

hahahahahahahah

Back