glyphosate 41% or Powermax and 24d to kill off existing vegetation

John D

I posted in another thread about my food plot project I'm working on. The area is some flat areas and ditch areas that have been growing wild for the last 40 years. I brush hogged them in the fall and want to kill everything off before I start prepping for food plot. I was told by a local farmer I should use powermax 51% and 24d to kill everything off. What's the advantage of just killing everything off with regular glyphosate 41%? He also stated I'd have to wait a few weeks after I killed it to till/seed it. The guy plants some big fields in my area so I imagine he knows what he's doing. I definitely don't want to have any issues with weeds. I'll be planting oats and ladino clover in this plot this spring. I want to get this stuff killed off ASAP and the rain isn't helping me out.

I’ve always used the 41% gly from TSC, it does everything I need. I generally wait a minimum of ten days to start any discing because I want the roots to start decaying. Makes for better discing most of the time.

I should add that I’m speaking of new plots. Plots that have been fall planted I usually just turn them under while green if the deer have stopped using them in spring.

Won't have to wait to plant if you just use gly. 24d has a residual so that is probably why he said you would have to wait a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You don't have to use the 51% stuff. It's probably more marketing than anything. However I do see most aquatic versions are formulated at 51%.

Sometimes I add 2,4D if I have some problem broadleaves, but the mixing instructions are more specific. The order you mix, your ph, AMS, and surfacant come into play. Also you only add about 16 oz of the 2,4 D if I remember correctly.

Generic gly is a 4 lb product, power max is 5.5 I believe but I know it’s 5+.
The only difference is the amount of active ingredient, basically 1 qt of power max is equal to 1.4 qt of generic gly. My math may be off a little but it’s close. Mixing 24d or dicamba with the gly will give you more control on broadleaf weeds and give u some residual.

What dosage rate are you guys using for your 41%? I may add a little of the 24d for the first kill although most of what I have to kill appears to be grass. Also after spraying, how long do have where rain will ruin the killing action? I want to make sure I don't have to do it twice.

What dosage rate are you guys using for your 41%? I may add a little of the 24d for the first kill although most of what I have to kill appears to be grass. Also after spraying, how long do have where rain will ruin the killing action? I want to make sure I don't have to do it twice.

I think the normal dose is 2oz. per gallon of water, but I’ve used up to 3 if I had tough, mature stuff to kill. Gly doesn’t work on all vegetation the same. If it’s mostly grass, 2 oz. should be good.

Minimum qt/ ac gly. If you going after likes of fescue 2 qts / ac. I always go w latter because when I shoot something I want it to be dead first go around. I sometimes add AMS and always crop oil or surfactant. Spray when stuff is 6” growth even if you have mow first. It will work at any level but new growth and hot weather spreeds process. After you get your plots established you can kill grasses w Cleth and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a fyi, non ionic surfactant is recommended for use with gly over crop oil if one is just using gly. Sometimes when other herbicides are added it is recommended to use crop oil but if just using gly go with nonionic surfactant. Read labels for best instructions.

AMS is also a good additive, especially if the water is suspect of hard water qualities

I didn't know anything about an ionic surfactant. Does this have to be used? WHat does AMS stand for? Had no luck finding it.

I didn't know anything about an ionic surfactant. Does this have to be used? WHat does AMS stand for? Had no luck finding it.
Most 41 percent formulations with the "plus" in the name already have the surfactant in the mixture. AMS is ammonium sulfate. Usually 21 0 0 fertilizer. They have spray grade AMS. If you have hard water it is recommended as the hard water minerals bind to the gly.

Thomas

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I've got pretty hard water and don't have the plus glyphosate. I might have to ask the ag supplier if they can get this for me.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but WSU got it covered. I get my AMS at a local coop/spray center. I haven't seen it anywhere else. My water is very hard. There is a noticeable difference if I don't add AMS in results.

The water at the property is hard so I'll have to round some of this stuff up. I'm hoping the ag supplier has it.

The water at the property is hard so I'll have to round some of this stuff up. I'm hoping the ag supplier has it.
If not, Rural King has both surfactant and AMS. No store near Chardon though. Wooster and Elyria would be the closest stores. I usually hit the Wooster store between home and the farm.

I use 64 oz(two Powerade bottles) in 25 gallonATV sprayer.
I do the same. 2 quarts per acre. The amount of water you use depends on the sprayer and the speed you travel. The water is only a "carrier" to get the Gly out of the tank. You are not diluting the Gly.
I know I use more water than necessary but I can cover an acre in one direction and then switch directions to be sure I have good coverage. Once the tank is emptied I know I'm ready to move on.
I have used Credit 41 Extra for several years with good success. It has a surfactant in it. I buy mine from a local spray service at a better price than most farm stores offer.
Lynn

I know it seems as though we are having an early spring. At least where I live. All us 'Wanna be' farmers are anxious to get started on our food plots. We could be making a mistake though if we start spraying so soon. A lot of our target plants haven't emerged yet and we'll just be spraying bare ground.
Now is the time to uncover the ground by removing any trash left from last year's crop(s) and let the sun shine in so the plants you want to kill off get a chance to sprout and show their ugly heads before you do your spraying.
We're under a burn ban here so our best chance is using my landscape rake to remove any debris and expose the dirt and any tiny seedling plants (weeds) to the sun.
Of course I realize there are folks on here from all corners of the country so spraying and planting times will vary with their climate.
Lynn

I know it seems as though we are having an early spring. At least where I live. All us 'Wanna be' farmers are anxious to get started on our food plots. We could be making a mistake though if we start spraying so soon. A lot of our target plants haven't emerged yet and we'll just be spraying bare ground.
Now is the time to uncover the ground by removing any trash left from last year's crop(s) and let the sun shine in so the plants you want to kill off get a chance to sprout and show their ugly heads before you do your spraying.
We're under a burn ban here so our best chance is using my landscape rake to remove any debris and expose the dirt and any tiny seedling plants (weeds) to the sun.
Of course I realize there are folks on here from all corners of the country so spraying and planting times will vary with their climate.
Lynn

I checked the soil temp in two different plots last Friday. It was 73* in both, surprised me !

Back