glossy black chokeberry

Nebraskaz71

My local menards has tons of "glossy black choke berry" shrubs clearanced out right now. Probably 3 gallon pots, decent sized bushes for 9 dollars. I know next to nothing about choke berry. Considered using some in my back yard landscaping where the deer come in regularly. Do deer like these or waste of time?

I have to fence them on my place, planted some at the yard and they make a nice landscape shrub. 3 season color, edible fruits and great for pollinators/songbirds...hard to beat that if you ask me. Just picked 5lbs worth of berries today, going to try that in a cobbler.

Yes, deer browse Black Chokeberry, and I had toast with Black Chokeberry jam for breakfast. :) However, if you want deer cover, Chokeberry is a low shrub, mine are 4-5 feet, and Chokeberry doesn't sucker, which could be good or bad in your yard.

I have to fence them on my place, planted some at the yard and they make a nice landscape shrub. 3 season color, edible fruits and great for pollinators/songbirds...hard to beat that if you ask me. Just picked 5lbs worth of berries today, going to try that in a cobbler.
Phil, where did you get your Chokeberry?

Never got a chance to get back into menards, might later this week and see if they have any of those left.
Letemgrow said that the MDC sells Black Chokeberry. You could buy an entire bundle of 25 for the cost of one potted plant. ;-) The MDC starts taking orders about November 15th and sells to out of state customers for Spring planting.

Got mine from MDC. They are as high as 8 foot in 5 years but in my area if you do not protect the deer will wipe them out. And as Brush pointed out, they have not root suckered at all. Hopefully the animals will spread the seeds.

Back