General note on property tours

Can't speak for everyone, but I'd personally find even more value from property tours if it includes a topo along with the aerial. Topography just impacts things sooooooooooooooooooo much that I feel it'd greatly enhance their value.

I'm likely going to begin a more generically specific thread myself in a few weeks. Thinking I'll just take areas of properties and show what I've done and the results, good and bad. I did that a handful of times with the Grow em Big management show and tried to do the same with the book, figuring that if I can show enough areas/situations, odds are better that you guys will find something that applies to your grounds, at which point you can decide if it's worth a try or not.

Can't speak for everyone, but I'd personally find even more value from property tours if it includes a topo along with the aerial. Topography just impacts things sooooooooooooooooooo much that I feel it'd greatly enhance their value.

I'm likely going to begin a more generically specific thread myself in a few weeks. Thinking I'll just take areas of properties and show what I've done and the results, good and bad. I did that a handful of times with the Grow em Big management show and tried to do the same with the book, figuring that if I can show enough areas/situations, odds are better that you guys will find something that applies to your grounds, at which point you can decide if it's worth a try or not.
I would like to do that Steve but how do I do that?

Steve, thanks for all that you provide. You are a great resource. Most of us don't have to make a living at this so sharing "trade secrets" is no big deal. It's great of you to share your knowledge, especially since you earn a living off those many points of knowledge and experience.

Doc, 100% my pleasure and the least I can do. As I've posted on other forums and may as well say here, as well, without you guys following my work, I'd still have a real job. To me, it's just right and wrong. When others do for you, you try to do for them in return. I wouldn't have much respect for myself if I didn't, as, whether many of you meant to or not, you've done far me for me than I could ever repay.

Sorry for the delay, Sat Guy. I just use this program, turn on the contours and take screen captures. That way I have google earth imagery with contour lines right on it.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Would love a tutorial on reading topo maps. Never really took the time to learn them. I think it might be time.

Thanks for all your great input.

Todd

Share the love Satguy. I've never been able to find a topo map with property lines.
I have the link at work and I will share it with you tomorrow when I get in. Its on the Texas A&M forestry web site. I could'nt figure out how to upload the file so I just took a picture with my Iphone and uploaded that.

Steve - Still trying to figure out how to post topo with property lines. And haven't figured it out yet! Thx for sharing on this site. Bought your new book about 6 weeks ago and son is reading it now. i'm next!

Steve - Still trying to figure out how to post topo with property lines. And haven't figured it out yet! Thx for sharing on this site. Bought your new book about 6 weeks ago and son is reading it now. i'm next!
One way that can be done is screen shot a topo of the area and use a program that allow you to draw lines/ shapes, etc. For those with a mac, Shift+Command+3 will screenshot it, then the "Preview" program will allow you to annotate with lines/ shapes, etc. For those with a PC, http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-pc/
then paint will allow you to add the property borders.

For those wanting aerial photos with your property lines added or for reference in drawing borders on a topo map, you can also go to your county's online GIS and screenshot it from there as well, if available.

Using triple C's Oglethorpe County as an example, here is the GIS website on which he can locate his property. https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=758&LayerID=11794&PageTypeID=1#

Last edited:
Back