Gatehouse Woods

IMG_0008.JPG

Finished putting in my top field a few days ago just before rains. Took me about 5- 6 hours, I spread ag lime by hand, tilled, seeded, packed, seeded and packed.....couldn’t ask for better conditions weather wise in the northeast. Eventually this field will be broken down its way 2 big as it stands but it’s a start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a few decent deer on camera, here is the latest... I suspect he is a buck I saw last year.... some of these 2.5 seem to blow up and some don’t, my buck a year ago I killed was a 4.5 and he had a slightly better rack as a 3.5, go figure. it’s amazing they can survive with the hunting pressure around me

58778178481__258A6412-2CAF-44B3-A40C-B218DC46C7D7.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

The food source is popping! Radish clover and rye.... I’m hopeful this creates some interest.... next year should be a heck of a clover plot... and boy those bees that sit right up next to this plot should be loving it.... my area also had a hell of a year for apple production providing another great food option into oct/nov. so breaking down this picture there are bees to the right chasing deer toward the left side of the plot near a couple of large apple trees.

IMG_0225.JPG

Found some time to get my blind up. Lot more work do to and running out of time! Got some good bucks on camera as of yesterday nothing on camera is out of velvet.

View attachment 16904

Found some time to get my blind up. Lot more work do to and running out of time! Got some good bucks on camera as of yesterday nothing on camera is out of velvet.

Looks good!

Just a tip, if you have the bow hangers in the ceiling on that blind, keep an eye on them. I had a Stump 2 that developed a leak there. On those, they did not cap off the holes in the roof where the stud/nut for the hangers were. It took a couple of years, but the water found a way in. Easily fixed by some silicone, but would have been nice if they would have capped them off at the factory. Never fun to open the blind up and find a humid blind with moldy particle board inside.

Great info, I never thought of that... did you relay that to the factory? I’m going to plug those now!!!!

Reactions: 144
Great info, I never thought of that... did you relay that to the factory? I’m going to plug those now!!!!

Never did, had planned to but it slipped my mind. Ended up selling it a few weeks back, so I no longer have it.

I’m like you, I’d never have believed that it could leak that way, except that I saw it first hand. Another guy on this forum or HT said he had a similar issue, so it’s not a one off issue. Probably just a small subset of blinds may have been affected. But good insurance to go ahead and take care of now.

Really nice southern tier buck! and wow what a nice rock free field - is it naturally so or did you pic it clean?

For some reason that field is relatively rock free.... go down the road to my house and the fields are baseball sized rocks in high abundance... I’m in central ny by the way.

Some updates on my roller crimping....my brassica, beet oat plot is growing rapidly spotty but nothing I’m upset about... the areas with less light had less growth (or no growth for that matter) overall it was less work than turning the soil.,.. and ZERO fertilizer has been used... IMG_0332.JPG

The oats and pea combo that reside in the interior did very good. Crimping timing was ideal.... happy I started my woods plots in this way and I’ve had little weed competition and have not sprayed... these plots had fertilizer added, lime was not required IMG_0333.JPG

Last edited:
The ariel picture shows the two interior plots.... pretty green IMO... all interior plots are the same combination of radish, clover (red and white) and cereal rye.

Finally had a chance to age the deer I killed above and another deer. Based on tooth wear my deer aged as a 3.5.... the other deer gross scored 144 and he aged as a 2.5 year old based on tooth wear. I didn’t score my deer but I’d guess 115 or so but I will score him when I get a chance.

Last edited:
beautiful NY buck - congratulations! 200 lbs is awesome not common for us - even with older deer to crack 200 lbs.

Thanks, I agree pretty large deer, my buck from last year weighed 191 after being hog dressed... I thought he was a real monster. So exceeding 200 is a big deal in these parts like you stated. Best of luck this season, I hope you nail that big eight on ur piece!

Last edited:
Back