Franklin Cider Apple - Anyone have these?

TheOldOak

Received a solicitation for Franklin Cider Apple trees recently. Sounds like a decent tree for wildlife, large producer, decent disease resistance, late dropper, etc. Anyone have these planted? From what I saw online, this is a newer tree with good wildlife potential, but I doubt anyone has any that are producing yet. Interested in thoughts on this apple tree.

I planted one last year and have another one ordered that will be here next week. My only concern is whether or not it will be resistant to fireblight. To my knowledge it hasn't been tested in a FB prone area. If it is I think it will be a winner.

I planted 6 last year. They did well in their first year, anxious to see how they continue to grow and start producing. They certainly look like a winner, but time will tell.

I planted one last year and have another one ordered that will be here next week. My only concern is whether or not it will be resistant to fireblight. To my knowledge it hasn't been tested in a FB prone area. If it is I think it will be a winner.

Stark Bros Nursery in Louisiana, MO has exclusive rights on the patent and propagation of all Franklin Cider Apples produced for distribution throughout the US.

I live about 35 miles as a crow flies from Stark and trust me, this area is definitely FB prone. I've stopped by and spoke with the production folks at Stark and they say that so far it has shown "excellent" resistance to FB.

Stark Bros Nursery in Louisiana, MO has exclusive rights on the patent and propagation of all Franklin Cider Apples produced for distribution throughout the US.

I live about 35 miles as a crow flies from Stark and trust me, this area is definitely FB prone. I've stopped by and spoke with the production folks at Stark and they say that so far it has shown "excellent" resistance to FB.

I hope that is correct and thanks for sharing the info. But, I was under the impression that they didn't start grafting it until last year. If that is the case, they haven't been watching it long enough to be able to reach that conclusion. The most prone path for FB infection is where it enters the shoots via the flowers in the spring. You would need to watch it for a few years after flowering begins to be able to make a good determination on FB, because in some years, you won't see FB at all.

I planted 6 last spring. You can see picture at time of planting and other picture is August 15th. Northern Wisconsin. I’m happy with first year growth.

Attachments

• DFB4B323-6E1B-49EF-B07F-5EF78FECD557.jpeg
    DFB4B323-6E1B-49EF-B07F-5EF78FECD557.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 729384F3-8DA2-40EE-BA20-026BBCCE51C0.jpeg
    729384F3-8DA2-40EE-BA20-026BBCCE51C0.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Back