Food Plotting Rebel Without a Cause

Dang it NH!!!...With all the rain in the forecast and your thread here, I went ahead and planted at the house. It's to keep the kids happy so they can shoot whatever deer they want without them wanting to come to the other farm which we manage for fully mature deer with an itchy finger. Besides it doesn't cost much to plant it. It already has red and white clover, so I planted Wheat, Daikon Radish and PPT.

I've already been told that I'm to blame if a drought comes.......:)

If it turns out bad, you can go hunt on Doug's food plots......:)

Wheat and oats may work just fine for you rebels south of the Mason Dixon but us Yankees gotta have rye to feed our deer in February when the snow flies and those soft southern grains disappear.

Your a Hoot!!!...It's all good. If a drought comes I will just replant..I'll have leftover seed when I plant the farm anyway. A bag of wheat is only $11.40 per bag.

Doug doesn't plant till...Something like end of September or first of October.

Mennoniteman...Winter Rye is to hard to find locally and we don't get the snow like you do.

Y’all welcome to hunt my plot but gonna get a bit snug with everyone crowded around the chimney. Short drag at least and jst few steps from snacks and drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y’all welcome to hunt my plot but gonna get a bit snug with everyone crowded around the chimney. Short drag at least and jst few steps from snacks and drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're going to feel funny on opening morning when there are 30 trucks setting in your driveway at daylight......

Well NH...I new it was to good to be true. You have officially put me in a drought. LOL

I planted my house plot when we had a forecast of two weeks of rain and that plot is doing amazing. Then I go plant the farm on August 31 and we get 1/4" since planting. I checked a week later and everything came up but I haven't been back to see what it looks like now. The good news is we have 80% to 100% on at least 2 to 3 days at the end of the week.

You may just have changed my thinking for next year and if we get a high percentage for a 2 week period in August I may just have to plant. Something I have noticed at the house plot and pics of your plots is that it looks like it gets plenty of shade. Am i correct on your plots?

The farm gets a lot of sun in the afternoon so that may be an issue but it may be worth the risk.

Well NH...I new it was to good to be true. You have officially put me in a drought. LOL

I planted my house plot when we had a forecast of two weeks of rain and that plot is doing amazing. Then I go plant the farm on August 31 and we get 1/4" since planting. I checked a week later and everything came up but I haven't been back to see what it looks like now. The good news is we have 80% to 100% on at least 2 to 3 days at the end of the week.

You may just have changed my thinking for next year and if we get a high percentage for a 2 week period in August I may just have to plant. Something I have noticed at the house plot and pics of your plots is that it looks like it gets plenty of shade. Am i correct on your plots?

The farm gets a lot of sun in the afternoon so that may be an issue but it may be worth the risk.

So, the plot planted too early is doing better than the plot planted at the correct time. The most important thing here is that I WAS RIGHT...….:D

The plot in my pictures in this thread runs north and south, so the trees on both sides do give both morning and evening shade. However, another early plot I planted out in the sun is doing great too.

Seriously, I do think it is better to wait until later to plant if you get good fall rains. However, I also think it is fine to plant early if the rain forecast is a no brainer. Good luck!

I've taken a real liking to buckwheat. This is the first year I've ever used it, and the deer took to it quickly. The lady at the feed store told me that she can get it for me with no shipping costs anytime I want it. 50 lbs will be somewhere in the $30-$40 range.

Thinking next year of doing a straight buckwheat plot in the summer and then mowing the buckwheat over wheat and clover seed for the winter.

Well if you don’t already, you’re going to have to get some bee hives for all that buckwheat!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

So, the plot planted too early is doing better than the plot planted at the correct time. The most important thing here is that I WAS RIGHT...….:D

The plot in my pictures in this thread runs north and south, so the trees on both sides do give both morning and evening shade. However, another early plot I planted out in the sun is doing great too.

Seriously, I do think it is better to wait until later to plant if you get good fall rains. However, I also think it is fine to plant early if the rain forecast is a no brainer. Good luck!

I got to give credit where credit is do...It was this thread that started me thinking about planting in August if the weather is favorable.

SO YOU WERE RIGHT!!! LOL

All my plots run north and south as yours...my only problem at the farm is in hill country I don't have the luxury of shade and the sun bakes some of the plots but after several years a person learns what and when to plant.

Army worms are here in the cattle pasture at the house so hopefully they don't find my plot.

Got an update. This plot was very successful. I came to love buckwheat because of it. The buckwheat was eaten really well, but there was so much of it that lots of was able to make seed.

A few days ago, I threw some wheat seed down and mowed everything really close. The wheat and buckwheat are germinating at the same time, so now I have a Wheat and Buckwheat plot. The buckwheat of course will die at the first frost but the wheat will live on.

vMGKnLwh.jpg

Back