Fixation balansa clover

smsmith

I'm looking for anyone who has grown this clover in zone 3 or 4.

Specifically interested in when you planted it and how it did. Pics would obviously be a great addition.

I viewed it a couple time ;)

No experience in the north land - good experience where it's 100 degrees with no moisture :(

I don't think very many of the northern guys ended up on this forum

well as you know many of the northern guys left the old forum and started up at HT. Most of the members here are from when the old forum closed down. Would be great to get some of the northerners over here.

From what I have read on the clover is although it is an annual it acts very much like a white only it comes back from seed and not roots. It will die off just like a warm season annual broadleaf in the winter and then if you were able to get good flowering in the summer it should shoot back up from seed. Suppose to be a heavy reseeder clover. Like white it will go through a summer dormancy but rebound once temps decrease and moisture increase.

todd

i'm up in zone 5b in NY, i planted Fixation last fall with winter rye, this was my 1st experience with it. It came up some last fall, i guess it really puts a lot of energy into the root system. This spring however I had some plots that were great with the clover reaching over 2-3'. I now realize that you need to let the flowers stay for 30 days after bloom to get the re-seeding affect, so don't mow early! This summer the plants died down quite a bit, i'm not sure if it's due to our drought or the life cycle. I am starting to get some regrowth and we are finally getting some decent rains, so time will tell! You are supposed to be able to get about 3 yrs out of the re-seeding values of fixation. I posted about this in QDMA and was told to expect this to act like an annual clover. I think i'm going to switch over to a Ladino clover so that i don't have to re=seed as much.

i'm up in zone 5b in NY, i planted Fixation last fall with winter rye, this was my 1st experience with it. It came up some last fall, i guess it really puts a lot of energy into the root system. This spring however I had some plots that were great with the clover reaching over 2-3'. I now realize that you need to let the flowers stay for 30 days after bloom to get the re-seeding affect, so don't mow early! This summer the plants died down quite a bit, i'm not sure if it's due to our drought or the life cycle. I am starting to get some regrowth and we are finally getting some decent rains, so time will tell! You are supposed to be able to get about 3 yrs out of the re-seeding values of fixation. I posted about this in QDMA and was told to expect this to act like an annual clover. I think i'm going to switch over to a Ladino clover so that i don't have to re=seed as much.

X2 on my experience in the south. Planted a stand last fall with little growth. By spring it grew well but pretty much died out by summer. I've got a 5 lb bag left over from last year and will plant it somewhere but plan on sticking with ladino and durana for clover plots.

It was just completing its life cycle this summer. That's what it is supposed to do, grow quickly in the spring after being fall planted - then die after completing its life cycle. Upon its death, it releases the N it has produced in its roots so that a companion crop (usually a grass) gets that shot of N. It is an annual clover, and you shouldn't expect another crop...though you may be lucky to get a decent stand from re-seeding.

My concern is that it won't survive here if fall planted.

I don't know about fall planting but I planted/broadcast 50lbs of it this spring and it took 3-4 months but is coming on strong now. I'm in east central Minnesota and we have had a lot of rain this year. Balansa seems to do ok in wet ground where the brassicas don't look too good but the balansa is doing just fine. We'll see if any of it comes back in the spring. This was my first time trying this "new" clover.

Back