First Post / Frost Seeding Switchgrass

Hello all,

Happy 2024! First time post-er.

Quick question. Has anyone had any success frost seeding switchgrass into Egyptian wheat stubble? I have chopped the Egyptian wheat down and there is a clean seed bed underneath so the seed should get good seed to soil contact.

I have never seeded switchgrass before so looking for any pointers. I purchased some Simazine for spring green-up.

Thanks!

My switchgrass was drilled, so I can't speak from experience. However, lots of people successfully frost seed switch.

My only thought is that I would have chopped the wheat down on top of the switch seed rather than spreading the switch seed on top of the chopped wheat. That's how I successfully do throw and mow for food plots. That way the seed touch the soil and the debris from the mowing helps to push the seed against the soil and also holds moisture. Good luck.

My switchgrass was drilled, so I can't speak from experience. However, lots of people successfully frost seed switch.

My only thought is that I would have chopped the wheat down on top of the switch seed rather than spreading the switch seed on top of the chopped wheat. That's how I successfully do throw and mow for food plots. That way the seed touch the soil and the debris from the mowing helps to push the seed against the soil and also holds moisture. Good luck.
If I were to do it again I would seed into the standing stalks. I think you’re right with better seed to soil contact that way.

Back