Ever have a weekend where everything is a problem?

yoderjac

Last weekend when I got to the retirement property, I found the fridge/freezer with all our venison had failed. The meat was thawed, but still cold. We refroze the ground (over half) and took the muscle meat (steaks and loins) over to the neighbors and had a party. We cooked up 17lbs of venison and it all was eaten! So we had an unexpected project of taking the old fridge to the dump. I found another on craigslist, so I took the truck home last weekend so I could pick it up on the way down this week.

I headed south on Thursday. My plan was to stop and pick up the fridge, stop at the coop and pickup 500lbs of WR, drop off the WR at the farm, and use the loader on my partners little John Deere to load my forks into the bed of the truck. I would then drive to our retirement property and use the forks to unload the fridge so I could keep it vertical. I would then spend the rest of the day, Friday, and Saturday planting our fall plots.

The first issue was the fridge. When I arrived, it was sitting outside with the doors off. The guy told me he had to remove the doors to get it out of the house. So now, instead of having just a fridge standing upright in the bed of my truck, I would have to remove all of the shelves and drawers and stuff and put the doors in the bed as well. That completely eliminated picking up the seed and dropping it off at the farm on the way.

So, my work around was to drive to my retirement property, grab my old F150, drive to the coop, pick up seed, drop it off at the farm and pick up the forks. When I got to the coop, I did something stupid. I jumped off the loading dock and jammed my left knee. This is my bad need with a torn meniscus that needs replaced. Well, that pickup has a cap, so loading the forks with the little John Deere loader was a challenge, but eventually I got it done. I then headed back to the retirement property and put the forks on the Kioti and got the fridge unloaded.

I then did some light disking of a field at the retirement property, hooked up the trailer to the Silverado, and loaded the Kioti and disk. I reinstalled the doors on the fridge that evening.

At this point, I thought things were going pretty well except for my knee. Friday morning, I got up early and headed to the farm. I did some light disking of the fields there and replaced the disk with the sprayer. I loaded the 3pt broadcast seeder into the loader of the the kioti and loaded it back on the trailer. I also loaded the seed for the retirement property as well as the herbicide. I drove back to the retirement property and sprayed and seeded. I have cultipackers at both locations, so I was able to cultipack there as well.

The next morning, my knee was swollen and I could not bend it beyond 90 degrees. I sucked it up and got moving. I drove to the farm, unloaded the seeder and filled the sprayer. I headed out to spray. When I started, I found my homemade foamer was not working. I checked it out and the plastic coiled hose between the compressor and jug was cracked and leaking. I decided to just do my best to get good coverage without the foamer. I finished spraying that field and headed to the next one when the Kioti overheated.

I stopped immediately. The loader was down, so I could only pull the radiator screen out part way. The was some debris in it and I scraped it off, but it was not badly clogged. I thought maybe fine stuff went thru and clogged the radiator. After it cooled down, I started it back up and headed to the barn. I got half way back when it overheated again. This time I raised the loader before shutting it down. I was able to pull the screen out all the way and the radiator looked fine. I then noticed the fan belts were shredded. I did not want to run it like this, so I spent the next hour walking back to the barn, getting the Silverado and trailer and driving out to the tractor, loading it and heading back to the barn.

Of course nothing is simple. The sprayer, about 2/3 full of fluid, was still on the 3pt hitch. I did not want to dump the herbicide, so I ended up putting wooden loading ramps up to the back of the trailer and using the John Deere to drag the sprayer down the ramps and off the trailer.

The tractor shop used to close at noon on Saturday, but the recently changed hands and were open till 2pm. So, I spent the next hour and a half taking the Kioti into the shop. When I got back, the 2/3 full sprayer was sitting in front of the barn. We have a cement floor in the barn and keep all our equipment on dollies so one guy can move the implement to the tractor rather than trying to back up the tractor to the implement. It took me quite a while but I finally got it hooked up. I finished the spraying using the John Deere, but since the herbicide was mixed for the Kioti and the foamer was not working, my coverage will be spotty, but hopefully good enough.

By the time I was done with that I did not have the energy to seed and cultipack. That will need to wait until next time I'm down.

So, instead of sitting in my easy chair with the satisfaction of a completed fall plant, I'm sitting in my easy chair with my knee elevated and wrapped in ice on Valium hoping I can avoid a knee replacement until after retirement and rambling on in my frustration.

Take care of that knee.
I feel for you on all the problems. My dad always said, "If it's not the hogs, it's the windmill". That is sure true here at the Ponderosa.

Thanks for the commiseration. Right now I have more balls in the air than I can keep track of. But...when I see what many around me are going through, I can only be thankful that my problems are so trivial.

The guys at the farm will likely be disgruntled if the fall plant doesn't happen, but it is what it is. Hopefully I'll be back on my feet soon and it will work out next week. My next 3 days are office work so the knee should have some down time to heal.

I had a rough one last weekend. Damn near killed myself on my ATV when the throttle stuck on a hatchet handle I had poorly placed. The impact ripped my very full brand new tank sprayer off the ATV and sent me on a one way flight with no guaranteed frequent flyer miles.

Spent half the day trying to buy another tank when my local TSC didn’t have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a rough one last weekend. Damn near killed myself on my ATV when the throttle stuck on a hatchet handle I had poorly placed. The impact ripped my very full brand new tank sprayer off the ATV and sent me on a one way flight with no guaranteed frequent flyer miles.

Spent half the day trying to buy another tank when my local TSC didn’t have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow...Makes my issues sound small. Presuming I did not hurt the engine running it hot for small spurts, my fix should be cheap. Glad to hear you came away unscathed from the incident. Equipment can be replaced at only a financial cost. Damaged body parts can be much more complicated, especially as we age.

After this last incident that took a physical toll on me, I've sworn that this will be my last "balls to the wall" plant. Once I retire at the end of the year, I plan to do no more than one operation a day and work no more than 1/2 a day. There is just too much risk when I get tired and hurry and make bone headed decisions.

My weekend warrior days are nearing an end! Best of luck in finding a new tank. Mine is a 55 gal Fimco 3-pt sprayer with a PTO pump. It was the least expensive I could find of that size, but over the years, I had to do a lot of reinforcing of the frame structure. I also added a rack for my foamer tank. It works pretty well. I also have an ATV sprayer but don't use it much. Rather than mounting it on my ATV and needing to remove it when done spraying, I mounted it on a 3-pt carry-all. I use a small tractor to spray with it. It is not a boom sprayer and less accurate than my Fimco, so I only use it in special situations.

I feel like my entire last week was like that. By the end of the week I was telling myself "Why wouldn't that go wrong." I know lots of people have far worse problems that me, but man it was a long week!

I thought I was the only one that had days like those! I'm slowly learning the value of taking smaller bites of the elephant when it comes to farm projects. It is hard though when you spend the work week thinking of everything you "need" to be doing and then when the weekend comes it's a mad dash to do it all. I try to remind myself this is supposed to be "fun"

Take care of that knee and hopefully the rest of the prep season goes smooth for you!

Well, my bonehead moves continued. I have never had an issue directly icing joints. My wife always tells me to put a tea towel or something between me and the ice pack but I ignore her. Well this time, I should have taken her advise. I laid a freezer pack on the pillow and then put the back of my knee on it, and then put another icepack on top of me knee.

Evidently, the skin on the back of my leg is more sensitive than other places. That freezer pack actually burned the bottom of my thigh, back of my knee, and top of my calf. It actually blistered. That was more painful than the knee itself.

I've been taking NSAIDs all week and RICEing the knee for a couple hours a day all week. It is still swollen and stiff.

Well today, I decided I'd work on the fall plant. I got 3 fields seeded with the broadcast seeder this morning. The knee got a workout with the clutch on the tractor. It was a bit more swollen than it had been when I finished. I'm icing it now. I'm learning to limit myself. I plan to finish up with cultipacking in the morning.

Hopefully a little-at-a-time approach will let me get things done without aggravating the knee too much. I'm gaining more confidence that I can make it to retirement before I need to deal with knee replacement.

I looks like I'm functional for about 1/2 a day with tolerable pain. I finished our fall plant this morning by cultipacking the fields I seeded yesterday. I need to widen the mouth of my driveway for easier access when towing but it looks like that will need to wait till the morning while I RICE my knee this afternoon. It feels good to have completed the fall plant so I don't let the other hunters down at the farm.

Glad you got the plots knocked off the list. Now take some time and get healed up so you can get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Dang Jack, that’s not good. Knee pain can be one of the worst, My right one has hurt me for forty years in varying degrees, mostly when I drive. Golf cart or side by side is the worst because of no leg room. I’m glad you got your planting done, mine is yet to come.

Dang Jack, that’s not good. Knee pain can be one of the worst, My right one has hurt me for forty years in varying degrees, mostly when I drive. Golf cart or side by side is the worst because of no leg room. I’m glad you got your planting done, mine is yet to come.
Yep, not good but it could be worse. My knees have degraded over time with all the athletics when I was young (and not so young). I knew I was headed for a knee replacement but I was hoping to delay it. Things are looking up. I see a Dr. on Thursday morning, but the last almost 2 weeks of RICEing have helped. My pain level has dropped. I'm fine at home and in the office if I'm careful, but I'm still concerned about being in the field. I think I'll be ok with a brace for stability so I don't aggravate it more. If things continue on the path I'm on, I think I'll be able to make it into retirement before I do the replacement.

Back