Emergency food - when?

Chipdasqrrl

The way things have gone so far, the deer are in for a rough winter. I can provide emergency food for them in the form of Maples and white cedars.
So my question is when should I be doing this? Should it be done now to send them in to the second half of winter in better shape? Or should it be done when the deer are running on E? Maybe do it a little bit at a time all the way through?
Thanks

I'd get it on the ground now. No telling how much worse things can get where you may not be able to get to where you need to work. I hold off on most of my brush/timber work until early winter for this very reason, whether they need the food or not.

I'd get it on the ground now. No telling how much worse things can get where you may not be able to get to where you need to work. I hold off on most of my brush/timber work until early winter for this very reason, whether they need the food or not.

Good points. Not sure if I can even get back there right now by vehicle. But yeah even if they don’t need the food right now, it’s not like it will disappear before they eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Good question. I'm convinced that a little at a time all the way thru is best. Ie; if we cut a whole bunch now some of it could be buried by the next snowstorm. But yes it is definitely time to get some trees on the ground. If you haven't done it in other years, keep in mind to cut as close to heavy cover as possible so the deer do not expose themselves in deep snow without cover.

I am not comfortable cutting large or tall trees in really deep snow so I just cut the poplars about halfway thru and walk away. The wind takes care of them in no time and there are no known or suspected trespassers on the property during winter being exposed to trees about to fall. I hinge cut them at chest high so they may act as cover after the tops are eaten. They generally fall away from the hinge if not leaning wrong of course and about half of them break off completely. Our cedars are generally shorter so I cut them thru a lot more and push them over if I can.

Last edited:
That was another thing I hoped to achieve through this is creating cover. I will hinge the maples and knock over some cedars strategically with bedding and cover in mind.

Do you know if the deer yard up for the winter in your area? They might have already moved out of your area already. Areas I hunted in the snowbelt of WI once the snow reached a certain level the deer would all head to the deer yards for the winter. If they do leave your area and yard somewhere else it may be better to let them migrate before the snow gets too deep to travel and they are stranded in an area without adequate food and thermal cover for the winter.

Do you know if the deer yard up for the winter in your area? They might have already moved out of your area already. Areas I hunted in the snowbelt of WI once the snow reached a certain level the deer would all head to the deer yards for the winter. If they do leave your area and yard somewhere else it may be better to let them migrate before the snow gets too deep to travel and they are stranded in an area without adequate food and thermal cover for the winter.

Fortunately the spot I have in mind is where they yard up. The deer here migrate into the cedar swamps, and this area is right inside the edge of a large cedar swamp. In fact the only reason I’ll hinge the maples is because they’re in areas that loggers won’t go to.
Here’s a picture of a couple beds in the area. IMG_4771.JPG

Fortunately the spot I have in mind is where they yard up. The deer here migrate into the cedar swamps, and this area is right inside the edge of a large cedar swamp. In fact the only reason I’ll hinge the maples is because they’re in areas that loggers won’t go to.
Here’s a picture of a couple beds in the area.IMG_4825.JPG
Meant to change the picture, not make a new post^

Back