Electric Scooters for placing Trail Cameras?

Mennoniteman

I've been tempted to buy an Electric Golf Cart to use for checking trail cameras and other deer hunting related activities because the low noise levels would leave less noise and scent in sensitive areas, but the price and room needed to store one kept me from pulling the trigger. Recently there are some pretty powerful off-road electric scooters being marketed, and I wondered if anybody has any experience with these things? A concern would also be the availability of warranty repairs and parts. I'm not talking about the little kiddie ones, but the adult ones with suspension and wide all-terrain wheels on them.
1-1-1_2048x.jpg

NANROBOT ELECTRIC SCOOTER D4+ $1,349.00
Model
:D4+ 2.0
Range34-40 Miles(23AH) 25-28 Miles(18AH)
Dual Motor:1000W x 2
Max Speed:34-40 MPH(23AH)
Lithium Battery:52V-23AH
Wheel Diameter: 10 inch
Net weight: About 59.5lbs
Size: 48inch*44.9inch*22.5inch
Load capacity: MAX 330lbs
Charger: Smart Lithium battery charger
(Charging time:10-12 hours )

Never even thought of one of those. Having never ridden one makes me hesitant to say anything about them, but I could see it being fun to try.

Nope....closest thing I ever did was use a bike. I have seen different scooters, fat tire bikes and ATV type vehicles marketed but I have never used one.....other than for playing golf.....which is sort of like hunting the way I play! Hunting for the ball over here and over there.... I simply walk...I don't own an ATV. But my area is fairly flat and the furthest stand from the house is roughly 1/2 mile. The times I used a bike it was nice because you obviously move faster and leave less scent I think....but I am not so certain it is less noise than walking....I like to almost stalk to my stand once I am in an area where deer could be.

I could see where if you had a longer trek in or wanted to cover a lot of ground how it could have it's advantages....until you had snow or freezing temps.....

Menn - With the exception of our Polaris diesel ranger for heavy lifting, we're all electric at the farm for hunting. 4WD electric golf cart, Quiet Kat tricycle, and last year, added an electric fat tire bike that I bought from a member on here that imports them. My youngest son uses the Quiet Kat trike exclusively going to and from stand and I use the electric fat tire bike. I love that darn thing. Lithium battery and goes all day long and then some on a single charge. The bike is super quiet. I put an after market rack on the back and bungee my bow to the rack. If more than 2 of us or hunting, the electric cart gets used or if it's raining. Bike will throw some spray on you if it's wet. The cart, even though electric, is much noisier with creaks and squeeks. The quiet kat and bike are very stealthy. I'd go with a bike all day long over the scooter type shown in your post. Fat tires make a huge difference in negotiating ruts, ditches and wet conditions. And, the power is amazing. You don't even have to peddle if you don't want to. Just press the thumb throttle and you're off to the races.

If anyone knows the member on here that imports the fat tire bikes please PM me with his contact info. I bought one last year and like it. A buddy from AR would like more info one one but I can't find the member's name I bought it from.

Electric is the way to go if you want stealth With my ranger EV I have snuck up on deer, turkey , Fox and people. They never hear you. Great for checking cams. I can’t tell you how many times I pulled up to a plot to check cams and deer were there. Just back up and go away and they were oblivious. I can’t speak for the scooters but, I can see they’d work. Just sit in the woods on a calm morning and listen to all the neighbors fire up their ATVs. Everything goes into alert. Not so with electric

Triple C and Buckly....How much terrain elevation change do you have? I'd like to have an electric unit but I am leary of my land being to much of a elevation change.

I have an E Z Go Beast. It’s basically a golf cart that comes from the factory ready to hunt from. It really shines when hog hunting at night. I use it here at home a lot, but Triple C is right, it does squeak and rattle a bit so it’s not totally silent. The smoother the surface though, the quieter it is. I’ve popped up on many a deer and hog in it and have even killed some hogs off it in the daytime, especially a group of hogs because they make noise themselves and can’t hear it coming. I use it to go to some stands, checking cams, and checking hog traps or coyote traps.

Triple C and Buckly....How much terrain elevation change do you have? I'd like to have an electric unit but I am leary of my land being to much of a elevation change.
Very little change in elevation on my place and what change there is is gradual. From highest point to lowest point is about 100 ft. Not sure how I'd like the bike in areas with big steep hills to traverse.

I have an E Z Go Beast. It’s basically a golf cart that comes from the factory ready to hunt from. It really shines when hog hunting at night. I use it here at home a lot, but Triple C is right, it does squeak and rattle a bit so it’s not totally silent. The smoother the surface though, the quieter it is. I’ve popped up on many a deer and hog in it and have even killed some hogs off it in the daytime, especially a group of hogs because they make noise themselves and can’t hear it coming. I use it to go to some stands, checking cams, and checking hog traps or coyote traps.
Drycreek - Ours is E Z Go golf cart conversion that's on it's 7th year. Replaced batteries last year. Ain't nothing better for shooting hogs than the electric cart. Shot 2 last weekend out of the cart. At least 30 or more have been shot this year and most all out of the cart just slipping along till we spot them.

If anyone knows the member on here that imports the fat tire bikes please PM me with his contact info. I bought one last year and like it. A buddy from AR would like more info one one but I can't find the member's name I bought it from.

Hi Triple, I'm the bike guy. I don't have any available right now but will likely bring in more next summer. Glad to hear the bike is serving you well. I'll shoot you a pm. Thanks

best thing to quiet those squeaks is WD40. Spray the bushings and any place metal or plastic rub and it goes away. I have not noticed a difference in the deer noticing it for the smell either. I like to use it for hog hunting at night. Love my electric golf cart.

The Rang
The Ranger EV is not a golf cart type vehicle It has no problems on hills. I am in very hilly terrain and have no problems. They do recharge themselves going downhill also. As for the other makes and models and the bikes I couldn’t say. temperature does play a role once it gets below 10 degrees. At 0 degrees I could get one trip around the 120 acre property out and back. In warm weather I could make 15. If you’re in real mountain country it may not be a good choice.

I might be interested in one of these fat tire bikes. I did a google search and there are quite a few listed. Any idea if one of them is the same as yours?

https://www.google.com/search?authu.........0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.TCzqkMN25VI

Some guys on Bowsite use the Rambo e-bike, but the price is in the $2500 range I think. These guys probably hunt the mountains though so they would need top shelf bikes.

The heart of any electric vehicle will be the batteries and controller, if you convert a golf cart. Fresh Trojan batteries and an upgraded controller, a lift kit and all terrain tires will totally transform a simple golf cart to a hunting cart.

Very little change in elevation on my place and what change there is is gradual. From highest point to lowest point is about 100 ft. Not sure how I'd like the bike in areas with big steep hills to traverse.

Thanks TC.

The Rang

The Ranger EV is not a golf cart type vehicle It has no problems on hills. I am in very hilly terrain and have no problems. They do recharge themselves going downhill also. As for the other makes and models and the bikes I couldn’t say. temperature does play a role once it gets below 10 degrees. At 0 degrees I could get one trip around the 120 acre property out and back. In warm weather I could make 15. If you’re in real mountain country it may not be a good choice.

Buckly...I have 200 feet elevation change going up a hill but once on top it is flat and I would travel about 2 miles round trip. It doesn't normally get that cold during hunting season here. Normal lows is around 28 degrees. Do you think it will work for my area?

Here's a few pics of my e-bike I bought from MN Slick last year.
Bike I.jpg
Bike II.jpg
Bike III.jpg
Added this after-market aluminum rack to hold bow & other stuff. I taped foam insulation to the rack.
Bike IV.jpg

Lithium battery mid-drive bike. Have yet to run power bar down to even half charge. Excellent for checking cams and riding to and from stand. Power is more than you can imagine. If you set it on the "5" setting, you will have to hang on. Power is delivered by pressure or pedals or thumb throttle. If you simply begin to peddle, the battery kicks in and powers the bike. Or, you can simply press the thumb throttle and not even use the pedals. It is very quiet. I put a bungee cord on the front fender to keep it from rattling.

In full disclosure, this bike works well for me because I have very good interior roads with very little elevation change other than a few small hills going thru hardwood draws. I'm not taking it off road at all. No ruts, creek crossings, huge hills, etc. Biggest downside is late season when the roads tend to stay wet. You will get spray on you and your gear in wet weather. I'm working on a mod to extend the fenders to prevent the water spray in wet conditions.

Here's a few pics of my e-bike I bought from MN Slick last year.
View attachment 17223
View attachment 17224
View attachment 17225
Added this after-market aluminum rack to hold bow & other stuff. I taped foam insulation to the rack.
View attachment 17226

Lithium battery mid-drive bike. Have yet to run power bar down to even half charge. Excellent for checking cams and riding to and from stand. Power is more than you can imagine. If you set it on the "5" setting, you will have to hang on. Power is delivered by pressure or pedals or thumb throttle. If you simply begin to peddle, the battery kicks in and powers the bike. Or, you can simply press the thumb throttle and not even use the pedals. It is very quiet. I put a bungee cord on the front fender to keep it from rattling.

In full disclosure, this bike works well for me because I have very good interior roads with very little elevation change other than a few small hills going thru hardwood draws. I'm not taking it off road at all. No ruts, creek crossings, huge hills, etc. Biggest downside is late season when the roads tend to stay wet. You will get spray on you and your gear in wet weather. I'm working on a mod to extend the fenders to prevent the water spray in wet conditions.

Bike is looking great Triple C and thanks for detailing out your experience. They are a game changer for sure. If anyone is interested in one shoot me a PM. Thanks

Back