Electric Hoist for Deer Processing?

Mennoniteman

I'm looking for a small reasonably priced electric hoist, maybe 500 lb, to hang up deer for processing. What do you guys use, does anyone have any model to recommend? I saw this Warn 110 volt 1000 lb winch at home depot for $197, I thought that it might fit my need, any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

0000173_pullzall-1000-lb-portable-electric-winch-885000.jpeg

I have a Champion I picked up off of Amazon. Straight pull does 440. You can double that with the provided snatch block. Haven't needed it yet. Amazon offers a 3 year free replacement for like $19.99. It bought the wireless remote but left the batteries in it over the summer and they corroded. I think I paid $119.99 for it 2 years ago.
43bef89b06dc0587799291a6e0dd4e64.jpg

I have 2 of the Pittsburg automotive 440# lifts, one for better than 20 years, they work great. Got one at Cabelas, one at Harbor Freight.

Any chance you can mount chains under your hoist? Not a bad idea to weld a couple of Vice Grips to chains mounted to the floor so that you can clamp the skin to the floor and use the hoist to pull the carcass up. Makes skinning a breeze!

I have the harbor freight model of the champion above and it works great. With the warn model you have pictured you will need a ladder or step stool to raise it up high. The winch moves up and now or you have to hang the winch on the ceiling. Have used one in bear camp many times. It works but there are better options.

I have the harbor freight model of the champion above and it works great. With the warn model you have pictured you will need a ladder or step stool to raise it up high. The winch moves up and now or you have to hang the winch on the ceiling. Have used one in bear camp many times. It works but there are better options.
Make an attachment on the floor or base of your post to hook that winch too, then run the cable through a pulley mounted on the ceiling. No more ladder.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I envisioned hanging the cable end on the ceiling and having the winch part with the trigger hooked to the gambrel, right above the deer. I'm 6' tall and could reach the switch with the deer off the floor. But you are right, there are several other options.
Make an attachment on the floor or base of your post to hook that winch too, then run the cable through a pulley mounted on the ceiling. No more ladder.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That sounds like a good idea.

Back