Early-growth pics of PIA

Tap

Just thought I would share some pics of pains in the ass at early growth stage.
It might help someone to deal with a problem before it gets out of control.
Its too late here. This crap is so widespread and invasive that it will never be beaten back.
Japanese stilt grass and mile a minute. Shit, I have MaM growing in the stiltgrass. Very depressing.
4988a8dc20659a8f2f5c5f19a9ab38d8.jpg
6c53de709c53881bf480f4deaa2bdc22.jpg
8c30e92d580c6836ea9ff2bd020bb1f0.jpg
25a6bbd6f33a716a33afb64bda7418d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep I feel your pain. Certainly could've taken that pic on my place in sections. Drought followed by monsoon seemed to really trigger it last 2 years.

Oust XP works good for Japanese Stiltgrass. It's a preemergent in granular form that can be spread dry or mixed with water. This keeps the seeds from germinating which is the only way to stop stiltgrass while not killing the trees. It's suggested application is early spring before any germination starts, apply on the dead grass from the year before. Using roundup on stiltgrass is like pouring gas on fire to put it out.

My NRCS forester gave me the above information.

Mile A Minute is a pia, but not major, as it can't survive in mowed areas, crop fields, or shaded forest areas, it usually pops up in my newly logged areas around woods roads and log landings, but fades out in a few years due to competition with more durable plants. If it's a big problem hit it with 2,4-D.

Oust XP works good for Japanese Stiltgrass. It's a preemergent in granular form that can be spread dry or mixed with water. This keeps the seeds from germinating which is the only way to stop stiltgrass while not killing the trees. It's suggested application is early spring before any germination starts, apply on the dead grass from the year before. Using roundup on stiltgrass is like pouring gas on fire to put it out.

My NRCS forester gave me the above information.

Mile A Minute is a pia, but not major, as it can't survive in mowed areas, crop fields, or shaded forest areas, it usually pops up in my newly logged areas around woods roads and log landings, but fades out in a few years due to competition with more durable plants. If it's a big problem hit it with 2,4-D.

I need to start a Go Fund Me page to be able to afford enough Oust to treat my stilt grass.
And I respectfully (and strongly) disagree with your assessment of MaM. It will smother any trees or shrubs under 20 feet or so. It will completely blanket any early succession areas.
And it can survive in mowed areas. I had a noticable amount growing in my clover last year, and it developed seed.
I have weevils that are just starting to multiply. I pray they can reduce the MaM.
I posted about this for guys who don't yet have either of these invasive demons. Learn to identify them and keep a sharp eye out...kill immediately!

I need to start a Go Fund Me page to be able to afford enough Oust to treat my stilt grass.
And I respectfully (and strongly) disagree with your assessment of MaM. It will smother any trees or shrubs under 20 feet or so. It will completely blanket any early succession areas.
And it can survive in mowed areas. I had a noticable amount growing in my clover last year, and it developed seed.
I have weevils that are just starting to multiply. I pray they can reduce the MaM.
I posted about this for guys who don't yet have either of these invasive demons. Learn to identify them and keep a sharp eye out...kill immediately!

I've seen pictures of it smothering trees, for some reason it's not been that aggressive on my properties, and I'm thankful for that. Where'd you buy your weevils from?

I've seen pictures of it smothering trees, for some reason it's not been that aggressive on my properties, and I'm thankful for that. Where'd you buy your weevils from?
PM sent.

Here are some before and after pics from last year. This crab was being smothered by MaM. The tree can't hardly even be seen in the 1st pic.
And the crap will tear you up. Those are my arms after pulling it down.
The close up pic of the stem shows weevil damage. They lay eggs in the stem.
Breed weevils, breed! Wonder if I should play some Barry White music for them?
60426b5b4330287f86909c454084c705.jpg
055ec1a4e4f84be2cf24e40346a2336a.jpg
aebae67ba165bef87279f332ebfec7e7.jpg
5ca8e90412c5d9654806b0d6675fe7ed.jpg
1769f2cee07f4a66f7622805d6838259.jpg

Back