Dugout

Got some green showing up in Indiana. And I love the shooting house. I need to build steps like that

Glad to see you got out for youth season. I didn't have much luck either.....but time with the kids in the woods is always worthwhile.

Question about the metal sided blind......any particular reason to cover to the ground? At first I thought maybe you had a ladder in side and a trap door type entry (to keep the ladder out of the weather and hide the assent of the hunter from ground level).....but then I see the landing and stairs on the back side..... I would suggest - not trying to be difficult - I would suggest a railing for those steps. Once we get wet/cold they will turn slick.....just trying to prevent an accident. I like steps...but they tend to hold any precipitation and become a hazard.....

Funny stories on all things you noticed. My dad took the metal all the way down to so we can use the stand as a wood shed. I wanted the trap door, but dad wanted steps. The Amish guy who framed them put them way to close together, but he was so proud that dad didn’t have the heart to tell him to fix it. He was young and saved us a bunch of time. The whole thing needs corners on the metal, blackened on the inside, hooks, shelves, and a hand rail. The lumber, windows, and door are all free, but the metal and the slow carpenter made this a very expensive stand still. I would have used plywood; it is a throw away item for us in unlimited supply, but dad didn’t want to paint it or replace it ever. I told him a tree was going to fall on it during next storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Funny stories on all things you noticed. My dad took the metal all the way down to so we can use the stand as a wood shed. I wanted the trap door, but dad wanted steps. The Amish guy who framed them put them way to close together, but he was so proud that dad didn’t have the heart to tell him to fix it. He was young and saved us a bunch of time. The whole thing needs corners on the metal, blackened on the inside, hooks, shelves, and a hand rail. The lumber, windows, and door are all free, but the metal and the slow carpenter made this a very expensive stand still. I would have used plywood; it is a throw away item for us in unlimited supply, but dad didn’t want to paint it or replace it ever. I told him a tree was going to fall on it during next storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
OK - I was just curious.....I figured there was a reason of some sort. Free is good! I try to re-purpose as much as I can from shipping pallets/crates and the like... I have a pile of stuff at the house that I simply didn't get to this year that is for that very purpose.

Back