Done with trees

My B118 rootstock should be in any day. You showed me how to graft em laying on the ground last year. I'm ready for some bench grafting lessons this year. By the way...9 out of 10 grafts took from last year. You da man!

I planted 9 chestnut trees and 4 limbertwig apple trees on the farm last week. I can now say I am officially done with tree planting. I am out of room and ain't making any more. 16 years to get to here.

LLC, don’t know how you can really be done...once you got the tree planting disease I don’t think you ever get over it do you? You probably have some land somewhere you could clear so you could plant some more trees!

So with that much time at it......give us your "top 10" lessons learned......

NEVER plant a tree without a tube or cage
ALWAYS stake cages down--for some reason deer love to maul mine
ALWAYS amend the soil you are planning to plant in just like with a food plot
I can GUARANTEE you if you plant an oak tree in amongst a thousand native oaks the deer WILL destroy yours only if they can
Sawtooth oak seedlings make the worlds best deer attractant
If you plant a tree out in the open, bucks WILL try to rub it
If you think it'll take you half a day to plant your trees, you can bet it'll take three to actually do it
A late freeze will always get your best apple crop
If you have morons for partners, they will bushhog down your trees---tube, cage, or not.
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today.

My B118 rootstock should be in any day. You showed me how to graft em laying on the ground last year. I'm ready for some bench grafting lessons this year. By the way...9 out of 10 grafts took from last year. You da man!

10-4, got your scions ready.

LLC, don’t know how you can really be done...once you got the tree planting disease I don’t think you ever get over it do you? You probably have some land somewhere you could clear so you could plant some more trees!

Going to do all I can to avoid the temptation.

Three other things I've learned:

ALWAYS plant trees in plenty of sun
ALWAYS plan for how big they (and the surrounding trees) will be in 20 years. It gets here FAST.
If you plant sawtooths, plant one strategically that you can put a ladder stand in. That gets here quick, too.

I have anxiety every fall and regret every spring when they arrive with plans never to order more but for some reason the anxiety always wins. It is so fulfilling to see a maturing tree that one has planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

The anxiety I have is always this time of year when I stress that I will actually have enough time to get everything in the ground that I have ordered over an all too long winter. Now I am trying grafting which only adds to my time crunch. I always say I am going to scale back but my orders seem to get bigger every winter.

Well if you've been planting for 16 years, some of those trees are bound to die. And that opens up extra space for...more trees!

Back