Deer Lease Drama (or how to drag your ass)

Drycreek

This is gonna be kind of convoluted, so hang with me. My buddy and I planted our plots, nine of them, on October 10 and 11. We went fishing on the 12th which was a Wednesday. It rained after that so we decided to plant some MRC and Daikon radish on the wet plots, so we did.

Last Saturday my buddy went out and put batteries in a camera at his son’s setup and pulled the sd card. He sent me this picture of a guy on a side by side in the food plot. I calked the GW for that county as well as the GW for my county as he hunts next to us. The GW for that county talked to our new neighbor on that side of the lease and determined that the tresspasser was him. The guy admitted being over there. He was pulling a dead donkey behind the s x s ! Now we’ve had a feral donkey on our lease a few years now, stirs mostly at night and helps himself to our food. I at first thought it was the feral donkey, but the neighbor said HIS donkey and the feral donkey fought and the neighbor’s donkey got his neck broken. OK ! Trouble is, you are on our lease ! This is where the lying starts IMO. He says he was dragging his donkey out back to be buried when he spies the feral donkey so chases him with the s x s while dragging a dead donkey ??? I call BS on that ! He was dragging the carcass off to keep from having to bury it and ran up on a stand, etc. and decided to drag his ass back on his on place because he figured he was on camera. Good assumption !

5A75337E-678B-4E74-9429-574D5CE2FD47.jpeg

Yesterday we go over there to move a stand and I pulled a card where I planted some wheat in a road and guess what I find. Yep, the friendly neighbor ass chaser driving around. NOTE THE DATES ON THE PICS. I called the warden again and he visited the neighbor again to give him an official criminal trespass warning. The neighbor says he is just chasing that feral donkey away but he’ll never do it again. :rolleyes: We have a limb or four to cut over there so tomorrow we’ll do that and put out a few more cameras in case the temptation to chase that ass is too great for our friendly neighbor to resist. A couple things were accomplished though. He knows we are vigilant, he knows we will call the GW, and he knows the GW will charge him if he has to come out again. I think he’s done but we’ll see !
B04C01A6-51A0-4DB1-BCE7-3E627093496C.jpeg

Stay vigilant. It's a bummer that you're having to deal with him but it sounds like you have it under control. Good luck!
No pics of the ass ahead of him?

He was gonna let his donkey rot on your place and attract all kinds of predators...glad you have the GW helping you out. Here the GW is too overwhelmed for stuff like this and unless someone shoots the deer illegally in his presence he won’t come around...

It helps that the GW from my county hunts a small property that our lease surrounds. We swap pics by text and keep in touch by text. Also have a canine officer that owns a place across the county road from us. If you ain’t dirty, you got nothing to fear !:)

Stay vigilant. It's a bummer that you're having to deal with him but it sounds like you have it under control. Good luck!
No pics of the ass ahead of him?

None ! Also no pics of him coming back the way he went in so he’s riding around getting the lay of the land he thinks he’s gonna poach on. That’s my opinion. I doubt we’ll have any more trouble out of him but there will be some cameras out set to video whoever comes along.

There was a neighboring donkey, Andrew Jackson, that would come over daily and get in our furrow flood irrigated corn. We would chase him off with the help of our German shepherd, but the daily visits continued. One day when he was back and my mother and I were taking care of the irrigation, my mother sicced 'ol Rebel on him. Rebel went on the chase like usual, but this time his teeth somehow got tangled in Andrew Jackson's tail. Andrew Jackson was running full blast with Rebel flying behind caught in his tail. He let out a bray that continued as he went over the hill and out of sight. A few minutes later Rebel came over the hill, no worst for the wear. Never had a problem with Andrew Jackson again. We often laughed about that day that Andrew Jackson couldn't turn off his bray.

Donkeys are a good thing to have around, they hate coyotes and will kill them on sight.

Hope you are able to keep the guy off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone trespassing dragging a dead donkey with a sxs. That's a first for me. Maybe he shot his own donkey and decided to hook it up as a decoy so he could drive around and trespass with an excuse?

There is no good fence around most of our lease, the owners’ income consists mostly of timber, oil and gas, and investments. They don’t care about fences.

The particular feral donkey that’s on our lease ain’t fit for anything. We have lots of coyotes. He’s interested in our food plots though. GW said he turned the donkey situation into the SO and they would advertise for the owner for six days, if no interest they would catch and remove him. :rolleyes: Good luck, he’s worse than the bucks at being nocturnal, and I’ve dealt with them before, they have much higher priorities.

I was really hoping that he had shot the feral donkey and was looking to dump him, in which case I would probably not be quite as concerned. No such luck as we had the feral donkey on camera after he was caught dragging his donkey.

All I will say is after the SO does their thing the feral donkey better watch his six !

I would start falling trees to block some access if you can't have fences.Then I would rent a back hoe for a day and dig a hole shoot the donkey and use it to fill the hole.

I would start falling trees to block some access if you can't have fences.Then I would rent a back hoe for a day and dig a hole shoot the donkey and use it to fill the hole.

I don’t have to rent a backhoe, I own one. :D We hardly ever see the donkey except on cameras at night, he’s worse than a mature buck at being nocturnal. If I ever see him in the daytime, he may become coyote bait though……

So what does the donkey do in the daytime. He must live somewhere.

I don’t know, I hear him bray every now and then but in three years I’ve never laid eyes on him. One of our lease mates saw him once while hunting, that’s the only daytime sighting of him.

Back