Cuttings for wildlife

Charlieyca

I know willow is one of the easiest to grow from cuttings. I have grown rosemary and blueberry, and other house plants from cuttings. What other plants that are good for wildlife (deer, rabbit, turkey) grow well from cuttings?

I know willow is one of the easiest to grow from cuttings. I have grown rosemary and blueberry, and other house plants from cuttings. What other plants that are good for wildlife (deer, rabbit, turkey) grow well from cuttings?

I've tried cuttings the past 2 summers and have had luck with blueberry, muscadine, fig, blk berry, green giant. As for others like fruit trees I haven't been successful. I think it's possible but everything has to be right with shade and water times. I did throw some acorns in my cuttings box this past year and they did great. I'm actually considering doing more in my cuttings box. Here are some pics of my set up.
b324c094365a7acbf59100a316987204.jpg

cc2e3dab502370d794f1db0a9f4cd925.jpg

9c8627dae659f26b37b309e7b46cd3b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Thanks
I've tried cuttings the past 2 summers and have had luck with blueberry, muscadine, fig, blk berry, green giant. As for others like fruit trees I haven't been successful. I think it's possible but everything has to be right with shade and water times. I did throw some acorns in my cuttings box this past year and they did great. I'm actually considering doing more in my cuttings box. Here are some pics of my set up.
b324c094365a7acbf59100a316987204.jpg

cc2e3dab502370d794f1db0a9f4cd925.jpg

9c8627dae659f26b37b309e7b46cd3b9.jpg

I have a huge muscadine vine in the backyard, going to try to growsome hardwood cuttings since it needs to be trimmed up anyways. I have some native blueberry and blackberries to try next trip to the farm. what time of year do you take your berry cuttings?

Another couple cuttings I have done well with is hybrid popular and elderberry. I stuck these into lumite and they provided a great screen and also killer habitat for quail. Over the years I have added rows of Cedar, oak, pine and chestnut trees.

fa9bd5476bc019dad3c001e04387c2ed.jpg

55855e3bcfa0a19d115d0b01c30261bc.jpg

79bfef76e3323d28634a2896119dd626.jpg

Those quail look awesome! I have some bareroot elderberry ordered that hopefully next year I can propagate.

Thanks

I have a huge muscadine vine in the backyard, going to try to growsome hardwood cuttings since it needs to be trimmed up anyways. I have some native blueberry and blackberries to try next trip to the farm. what time of year do you take your berry cuttings?
I've read June through end of the summer. I usually take cuttings while pruning around July. Good luck!

Dogwoods grow well from cuttings. To find what plants in your area that can be propagated from cuttings, Google the plant name and USDA. I just Googled Silky Dogwood USDA and got this:
https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=COAM2
Then I clicked on Characteristics, scrolled down to reproduction and got this:
https://plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?symbol=COAM2

When we talk about cuttings we're talking about dormant "Hardwood cuttings". There are also Semi hardwood cuttings.
Many plants that don't grow from hardwood cuttings can be grown from semi hardwood cuttings.

A very easy tree to start from cuttings is Mullberry. The fruit is eaten by about every animal and the leaves are foraged heavily by deer. I start my mullberry cuttings in early spring. Also a very fast growing tree. Just know they are like persimmons and must have both sexes to produce fruit.

A very easy tree to start from cuttings is Mullberry. The fruit is eaten by about every animal and the leaves are foraged heavily by deer. I start my mullberry cuttings in early spring. Also a very fast growing tree. Just know they are like persimmons and must have both sexes to produce fruit.
What's your routine? When and how? I love mulberry and would like to spread it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've had luck with 1 to 2 year old wood. I've done cuttings in early spring from a female and then realized I needed a male close by so took cuttings from a male tree early summer. Took about a 6" cutting, stripped off all the leaves except the top two, and scraped the bark off in a couple strips to reveal the cambium, dipped in rooting hormone and stuck in a peat moss based potting soil. Had over 90% success with the mulberry cuttings.

Mulberry grows from truncheons. Cut entire limbs or trunks and stick them in the ground like a giant cutting. Think BIG!

I have had great luck with figs. I working on mulberries now. I need to setup a grow box just for cuttings. Also plan on working with some blueberries, blackberries, grapes, loquat and basically anything else i can find.

I have had great luck with figs. I working on mulberries now. I need to setup a grow box just for cuttings. Also plan on working with some blueberries, blackberries, grapes, loquat and basically anything else i can find.
Do deer utilize figs?

Did some elderberry cuttings this morning. I did elderberry with success last yr.
0bdde6aaffe8f1edc63d6b98ebb49ac1.jpg

b783cc8e872d2359e79e626f02bcdcf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is what i was looking for guys, never fails! Ive seen the videos showing to use sand or a 50/50 mix of sand, but i cant bring myself to "plant" anything in the sand. Being so close to the coast, we dont have very many fruit and berry trees that grow native. Going to try some of the native blueberry from my farm later this spring. Have a bucket full of muscadine grape hardwood cuttings going now. 2 buds in the soil, 2 above, soaked overnight in water, dipped in rooting hormone and stuck in potting soil with peat moss. Forgot to scar the bark up one side.

brush, I have some variety of dogwoods ordered (red, yellow and gray). My yard has lots of flowering dogwoods, but dont know if they benefit anything other than songbirds. Turkey maybe? I have lots of sprouts of dogwoods that can be transplanted.

In order of deer preference are Rough leaf, Silky, Red Osier, and Flowering. Flowering dogwood is not browsed on The Brushpile.

I saw someone mentioned they keep a "nursery" for cuttings at their home with all the plants easy to propagate so they can easily manage cuttings. Looks like the backyard will be getting some elderberry, mulberry, and silky and red osier dogwoods.

Back