Creek Crossing

nice job id like to see it in action.

G

Thanks Geo..I want to see it in action also but we’re in a drought right now so it’s going to be awhile before that’s going to happen. I’ve gotten 4” of rain in the last few weeks and the soil just soaks it up and in a few days it looks as dry as it was before the rain event happened.

I finally got over 8” of rain in a very short period back in October and with some debris blocking some of the inlets the water went up and around the driving surface which caused some erosion. I put some fill back against it to get by for now but will pour some more concrete this spring/summer to permanently solve the issue. All in all it held up well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
d4b2989be84ca56117809f5f220e90d8.jpg

8ba6f749f791049a1813df03ac207e2d.jpg

0d0a3864eec8743da8039247257d016b.jpg

I finally got over 8” of rain in a very short period back in October and with some debris blocking some of the inlets the water went up and around the driving surface which caused some erosion. I put some fill back against it to get by for now but will pour some more concrete this spring/summer to permanently solve the issue. All in all it held up well though.

You thinking a spillway that dips below your driving surface? Could you throw some logs into the stream ahead of that to force the water to serpentine a little bit and catch that debris? Seems like a great job for a red cedar.

All in all, deer patch, that’s still a great job, a little tweaking on the approaches and it will be trouble free. You still might have to clear some debris out every now and then, but that’s part of the game.

You thinking a spillway that dips below your driving surface? Could you throw some logs into the stream ahead of that to force the water to serpentine a little bit and catch that debris? Seems like a great job for a red cedar.

I’ll just extend the approach with concrete past where the current is so it doesn’t wash again. I’ve done the same thing before and it has held up without any issue on another bridge down the road. I just wasn’t sure where the water line would back up to. No go on the logs because I don’t own the land above the crossing and don’t want to be held responsible for the water backing up on someone else.

All in all, deer patch, that’s still a great job, a little tweaking on the approaches and it will be trouble free. You still might have to clear some debris out every now and then, but that’s part of the game.

Thanks Drycreek...Problem was with my day job I couldn’t get over to clean the debris off before it went over the top. The county bridge had water going over the top of it and it didn’t have any debris so I am very pleased with the results. As you stated, a little tweaking and then clean ever so often and set back and enjoy. I’ve walked from that same spot but just up the creek many times because I wouldn’t drive my truck across it and when I finally had enough I built what you see now. The walk was all uphill and about a 3/4 miles in but it was all downhill on the way out. LOL

Back