Creek Crossing

deer patch

I have a creek crossing that I have to cross to get to the farm. Over the years it has gotten deeper and at times it is to deep to cross. So with a little time and some money, it’s starting to take shape.

Some before and after pictures.
2d97d692e993d20ec2ded60d5d6292e2.jpg

cd3e5fdc1368d20ee08f7baa58871cca.jpg

I didn’t take any pictures but first thing is to make sure there is enough fall so water will flow. Then dig a footing and then install culverts and back fill.
3b9e755d13ee4bfc523a60e99ab4bea1.jpg

Then tie rebar and install form boards on both sides.
0c54d5aa8c72809561f6b507b2ed3264.jpg

Then pour and finish concrete.
0d3d2439686410de67ea6eb9ba5d8e35.jpg

de73215c4d21be04a2a00e62f43f58eb.jpg

933949ee17157a61d252eec5d8758ace.jpg

All culverts are 36” x 24’ long. Picture just doesn’t look like it. I still have to pull form boards and put some more fill on top and level with some good hillside dirt and let it settle. Then I will probably pour a slab on top 5” thick with rebar tied every square foot so I can get a lime truck or gravel truck across without breaking the slab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very nice looking job on a culvert bridge. Looks like it probably even meets AASHTO LRFD specifications. Now you'll probably be getting asked to build culvert water crossings for other people.

Great job deerpatch.

Thanks.

That's a very nice looking job on a culvert bridge. Looks like it probably even meets AASHTO LRFD specifications. Now you'll probably be getting asked to build culvert water crossings for other people.

Thanks. I’m sure it’s close to specs but I’m sure most people are willing to spend the money it takes to make a crossing.

Well I made some progress over the weekend. I leveled the pad and tied some rebar every foot square for a cement pad 12’x48’. The pad will be 5” thick, so it should hold anything that goes across it without breaking. Probably just get the same crew as before to pour the cement instead of doing it myself since they are so reasonable with their prices.
3342a2af25414ccc646c49879db90ce3.jpg

29edb5abdb41dc76f8fa0211f53caf3f.jpg

Here’s what it looks like with the water flowing.

a0d8ac2f84ae2283291a11eac5af3b7a.jpg

Speaking as a guy who has done dirt construction all of his life, you do good work ! My only advice is to monitor the drift that gets stuck in the mouth of your culverts. Thirty-sixes aren’t likely to catch much drifted debris but one chunk that gets sideways will catch other stuff and cause it to get stopped up. Lots of culverts have been washed out like that. From the looks of that flow, you’re gonna need all those culverts open. The way you’re gonna have them cemented in though, it would probably stand an overflow. Again, good work !

Speaking as a guy who has done dirt construction all of his life, you do good work ! My only advice is to monitor the drift that gets stuck in the mouth of your culverts. Thirty-sixes aren’t likely to catch much drifted debris but one chunk that gets sideways will catch other stuff and cause it to get stopped up. Lots of culverts have been washed out like that. From the looks of that flow, you’re gonna need all those culverts open. The way you’re gonna have them cemented in though, it would probably stand an overflow. Again, good work !
Cound a guy cut the upstream side of the culverts flush with the concrete? Would that encourace debris to work its way up and over the pad rather that lodge in the tube itself?

Thanks for the compliment. Part of my day job is to check MS4’s and I know all to well about debris buildup. You can’t tell by the picture but the far end is the lowest point so it will act as a spillway so to speak. I’ve spent to much money to let it all wash or erode away.

That is a hell of a creek crossing! It looks like it could survive getting topped, no?

I tried to build it so if the water did go over top it would withstand it.

Cound a guy cut the upstream side of the culverts flush with the concrete? Would that encourace debris to work its way up and over the pad rather that lodge in the tube itself?

That’s actually what I have planned on doing but I haven’t had my torches over there yet. I’m going to cut off the downstream side flush with the concrete so it will release the water quicker also.

Well I made more progress today. With rain in the forecast I contacted my concrete guy and asked if he could pour concrete for me this week. His response was probably. I get a text today from him with just a picture attached. I still have a little dirt work to do on the approaches and cut off the culverts flush with the concrete but at least I will be able to cross it next weekend to plant plots.

26ab4df8e24b9be1c5374428c0d1ab1f.jpg

I have a creek crossing that I have to cross to get to the farm. Over the years it has gotten deeper and at times it is to deep to cross. So with a little time and some money, it’s starting to take shape.

Very nice work. I am impressed that you faced it with concrete!

Thanks. I poured the concrete face to keep it from undermining and washing everything away some day. At least now if the water gets to high it will just go over the top and not cause any erosion. The water level is kind of an illusion because it’s so wide. I walked the creek bed above this crossing and it is very narrow and you can literally walk across it in a pair of rubber boots.

Back