Contemplating Summer Clover Planting

Elkaddict

So I had 2 of our best clover plots loose 90% of their clover despite heavy frost seeding. I have no clue what caused this. One 11/2 acre parcel is my go to archery spot. I’d like to get some seed in the ground before what would typically be a Labor Day planting of triticale, clover and chicory. I’m contemplating burning the weed infested mess with gly, and planting now with oats and leftover soybeans as a cover crop, and a mix of mrc, Jumbo ladino and chicory. The soybeans will be nipped lip high as soon as soon as they’re discovered. I could then let the oats ripen and mow at about 8” to get volunteer new oats around Labor Day. Alternatively, I could hit the oats with herbicide after a 4 weeks (cleth or raptor). I could also attempt a spray, mow and throw, and then think about next steps. The problem is most of the weeds are so thick I worry about adequate seed/ground contact. I’m feeling like discing is inevitable.

I’ve always strongly preferred fall planting because of the weed suppression. In this case, my choices are the use of more herbicide or putting up with a newly planted plot full of new weeds. Thoughts?

Sounds like a do-over plot. I think I'd plant buckwheat after discing now and then discing again when you start to get regrowth from the first discing. Buckwheat planted fairly thick and allowed to mature which is about 45 days and then after the buckwheat goes to seed, disc it in getting more buckwheat seed and adding whatever you want for a fall planting. Maybe winter rye and clover with some winter peas? Just one option for you. I know I said the "D" word, but sometimes discing is needed I think.

Either should work for a fall attractant. Question is why did a tough plant like clover die off? Ph? Soil nutrients? Sunlight? I would asses that first. Personally I would do the gly, maybe disc light, spread oats/clover/rye/brassica combo in early Aug. Hopefully it doesn't fail you again, that is frustrating.

I'm no expert but I would agree w/ dogghr. My 1st recommendation is to do a soil sample / analysis - they're cheap & easy. I'd prob. Gly then lightly disc or rake w/ a landscape rake (what I do since my plots are in the mountains, steep, rocky, & erosion is an issue) then replant. Even w/ shade I don't see everything dying off like that (1 of my plots is very shady & the clover is doing pretty well).

Back