Concordia Oaks

Letemgro, was wondering how hard is it graft oaks in your experience? I’ve read where it is difficult. I might try it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were as easy as any apple I’ve grafted. I put a possible burxchinkapin cross on another limb of the same rootstock the Concordia oak is on.

IMG_1658.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

My Concordia oaks in my yard have set a massive acorn crop this year. I’ll be surprised if they all mature but things look good right now!

Matt

Very nice. All three setting a good crop? I know one of them was a little behind the other two

Okay the Concordia’s have started to fall! Out of the three trees that I planted in my yard seems I have one early tree as the other two are still holding on to green acorns. I think these trees are going on 8 years now and this is the first time that I’ve had more than just a hand full of acorns.

With all that being said here’s what I plan to do. I have collected approximately 20 acorns so far and all have passed the float test. I’ll keep on collecting them and storing in the crisper in my refrigerator until the trees are finished. At which time I’ll package and mail you no less than five acorns. All you need to do is pay for shipping. It may be more than five depending on how many acorns I end up with and how many people want them. This will be on a first come first serve basis. Just let me know you want on the list right now so that I can go purchase envelopes and supplies to factor that into the cost. If I’m not charging for the product or my time the last thing I want to do is loose money on supplies. Do not put your name on the list if you do not intend to follow through with the transaction.

Matt

So out of the three trees in my yard this was the total acorn production last year

4d4d8c2adfeab716b51f472a55588014.jpg

They have already tripled that amount of production this year and are still falling. Year eight seems to be the magic year.

Matt

Okay the Concordia’s have started to fall! Out of the three trees that I planted in my yard seems I have one early tree as the other two are still holding on to green acorns. I think these trees are going on 8 years now and this is the first time that I’ve had more than just a hand full of acorns.

With all that being said here’s what I plan to do. I have collected approximately 20 acorns so far and all have passed the float test. I’ll keep on collecting them and storing in the crisper in my refrigerator until the trees are finished. At which time I’ll package and mail you no less than five acorns. All you need to do is pay for shipping. It may be more than five depending on how many acorns I end up with and how many people want them. This will be on a first come first serve basis. Just let me know you want on the list right now so that I can go purchase envelopes and supplies to factor that into the cost. If I’m not charging for the product or my time the last thing I want to do is loose money on supplies. Do not put your name on the list if you do not intend to follow through with the transaction.

Matt

Thanks for your generosity. PM sent.

The Concordias are getting close to the end. Plan to start looking at everything I’ve collected and see how many I can send everyone. Between this thread and the seed exchange thread I have several guys interested. Should be at least half a dozen or so. I also noticed another guys that said he had some Concordia nuts this year on the seed exchange thread. So you might go over there and check that out.

Matt

I went to the A&M game in Columbia MO this year. Since we were an hour away, my father and I drove over to Concordia. We located what we believed to be a couple of Concordia oaks at the truck stop made famous, and a couple of the parks around the town. The leaves, bark, and acorns matched pictures I've seen on this thread and other threads on the internet. We were able to get a couple of handfuls each of acorns that had not been mower damaged with the goal to start planting them at our farm. A couple of the acorns had started to send down a taproot during our trip, so I have planted them in some pots to let them start growing. The remainder are in bags in the refrigerator currently.

Thank you for the information provided on this thread, and I will keep yall updated as they progress.

I might do a little trading in the years to come, some of our oaks should be putting on nuts within the next few years. We already have dco's that produced within 2 years of planting, but those are pretty easy to come by, so I figured there wouldn't be much of a "market" for them.

Hey guys,

Wanted to update everyone. Haven’t forgot about the acorns. They are in the refrigerator. I am a high school football official and am the Secretary for our local chapter so I do all the scheduling for the games in our area which keeps me very busy this time of year. The season is almost over with and I plan to start sending out acorns once I have some free time which should be in a couple more weeks.

Matt

Hey guys,

Wanted to update everyone. Haven’t forgot about the acorns. They are in the refrigerator. I am a high school football official and am the Secretary for our local chapter so I do all the scheduling for the games in our area which keeps me very busy this time of year. The season is almost over with and I plan to start sending out acorns once I have some free time which should be in a couple more weeks.

Matt

You're a brave man!!!

Back