Clover maintenance advice

I thought Durana was developed to outperform ladino during the dry, hot southern summers. Is that not your experience? I was thinking about planting some this fall.
This is my 1st yer with Durana. Mixed it with Regal Graze ladino last fall. All looks great right now but we've had a good deal of rain since spring.

Clover is a crop that absolutely thrives on being mowed high. However, I usually mow in mid June before the heat hits. (clover isn't my focus for fawning cover) I had a plot that looked exactly like yours does, after several mowings and a shot of herbicide it now looks like this;View attachment 12603 once I have my clover plots looking like this I can ignore them for several years, they are on cruise control.
Looks good. What herbicides did you use? I've sprayed Cleth plenty and occassionally use gly mix which usually does the trick.

Looks good. What herbicides did you use? I've sprayed Cleth plenty and occassionally use gly mix which usually does the trick.
Regalgraze ladino clover, I always mow sometime in June, mowing is one of the most effective herbicides there is. I also used 10 oz. of Clethodim & 4 oz. Thunder (Pursuit, Slay) in June of each year. However now the clover stems coming out of the ground are thicker than hair on a dog and no weed can even get a foothold. I have mostly stopped doing anything with it. Growing clover in Pa is about as easy as it gets and I have an abundance. I observed an amazing thing this summer, my biggest bucks are preferring nice clover to soybeans, something that I never saw before, but my clover is nicer than it's ever been. If clover would last all winter I wouldn't need to plant anything else.

This is my 1st yer with Durana. Mixed it with Regal Graze ladino last fall. All looks great right now but we've had a good deal of rain since spring.
I'm watching these posts closely, still trying to decide if Durana is worth the extra money or just an overhyped product. There's been mixed reviews on it, I haven't tried any yet.

So I read all these again and as usual I am left with more questions than answers. As a side note, I have decided to do nothing to the clover. I will hand cut and surgically spray all the young trees, but beyond that I'm letting it ride through the heat.

One of the main points I picked up from LC was to not leave the table bare. Brassicas in the ground asap with perrinial clover near by will help fill the late summer nutritional gap. I may be over thinking this, but yall help me think about September. Will perrinial clover be feeding anything or is it limping into the fall? Can brassicas be planted in mid august? September first?

Or am I trying to go against the flow. Should, as farmer D said, I focus on mast for this time? Persimmons, acorns (ive.got thousands of pounds of whote oak), pears, chestnuts etc. Am I fighting mother nature? I'm not ready to go all out and plant 30 acres of beans.

Thanks

David

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think I'm slowly beginning to realize that habitat management and hunting, as closely as they may seem to be related, are very different things.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I plant my brassica first wk of Aug and I do the clover mix Labor Day. You should be able to figure your dates from there. I would expect unless you are in the SC mountains, then you would do yours 30-60 days later than my planting date. Remember, don't over analyze and take the fun out of it. The deer won't know the diff, they survived quite well before our intervention and will do just that into the future. Management is an addiction from plotting to tree planting to deer management that affects us all in our actions and thinking year round. You are hooked. Enjoy it.

If you have oaks, hunt the acorns till they are gone. Plant your perennial clover, with a cereal grain, that last week in September or the first week in October. Again, this is for where you are in SC and me in Georgia. This is true for your brassica's and annual clovers as well!

Your perennial clover, will come alive, again in September, with the cooler temperatures and hopefully some rain.

One major problem we can have down here, if anything is planted too soon, in the fall, is army worms. They can decimate a cereal grain crop very quickly, so don't get too anxious to plant before the end of September. At that point their "cycle" is over. Besides, September is usually one of our drier months down here.

Also, again hunt the acorns and plant your crops, so that they are young, growing, tender and delicious, when the acorns are gone. Make sense? Take good notes on what you planted, when and where, for next year! It is habit forming!

Makes sense....just hard for me mentally. I am tempted to ask yall for an online farm consultation....i feel like my farm is "backwards". Pasture and Plots in the middle (pasture is in year one and two of attempting ESH) with bedding and hardwoods on the border. All access is also internal. It is still a lot of fun to think about.

I am a year into waiting on the timber company to clear cut 70 acres on the east side of my place. This will generate enough money to hire a dozer crew to recreate access and when replanted it will be a blank canvas for habitat management.

thanks to all who helpedlittle river map1.jpg

Sit down with your favorite beverage and ponder these .... The first one might surprise you ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back