Chestnut hill trees at walmart

Ok, so I bought a bunch of these 3 gallon persimmon from Wally World. I will be planting them in the next few days. My question is should I prune some of the lower limbs off now or just let them be. Some of these limbs have probably a foot of growth on them already but the limbs are probably not even a foot off the ground. Would that entice the central leader to want to grow straight up and give it all its energy this growing season? I have never owned a persimmon so I'm not sure what kind of shape they take. But I usually have the lower limbs on all me trees in my yard start about 4 feet up so I can mow around them once a year. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ok, so I bought a bunch of these 3 gallon persimmon from Wally World. I will be planting them in the next few days. My question is should I prune some of the lower limbs off now or just let them be. Some of these limbs have probably a foot of growth on them already but the limbs are probably not even a foot off the ground. Would that entice the central leader to want to grow straight up and give it all its energy this growing season? I have never owned a persimmon so I'm not sure what kind of shape they take. But I usually have the lower limbs on all me trees in my yard start about 4 feet up so I can mow around them once a year. Thanks for the suggestions!
I would treat these like I do my apple trees. I want vertical growth first! This is to get the branches out of the reach of the deer browse. This is also why I use smaller diameter cages than most - the deer trim those lower limbs off and thus the tree puts it's growth effort into reaching upwards. Obviously you have to retain enough leaves for the tree to remain healthy so it's a balance. I would treat your persimmons just like I would any other fruit tree until it's out of the reach of the deer, or mature enough to handle some browsing. Just my opinion on the matter.

Well I managed to save two of them from my Wal-Mart. Got them for $14.50 each. Hopefully I can nurse them back to health. There was a third. But it was too far gone for me to take a chance on it for $14.50. I tried to get the manager to mark that one off even further but he wouldn't do it.

e0b2a4c7df06bc683b4f3695e8b6fab9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

9da6160f200318e2e28c9857cbf6de3a.jpg

The beauty of living close to your Walmart! Trees already in the ground!

I realize you just watered those in the pic, but make sure you mound up some soil on those trees - I had one drown and die because it held water. That was the only one I had die so far out of the 6 I have bought over the past 2 years. I like getting them on sale as we near summer as well.....who wants to pay full price? I have watered mine once a week with 5 gallons of water thru the summer, they have done fine with that and have had no need for additional watering since. Good luck with your new trees!

Yeah I just had watered them in good when I planted them. They were bone dry. I bought two bags of mulch while I was there and have already mulched them in real good. I'll take another pic and post sometime. I may try to go back and get that third one and talk to a different person. If I could get it for $5-$7 I'd take a chance on it. The wood was still limber but it had lost all its leaves. I planted these two at the house and with the others I have that bloomed for the first time this year I may have some nuts next year if I'm lucky. The goal is to have trees at my house producing nuts to plant in the deer woods.

11d9e32179d1f8687eb74faa8ec5feea.jpg

Well boys, I jumped on the bandwagon also. The company that I work for is based out of St. Louis Mo. I had meetings there all day and at lunch break I decided to see if any of the area walmarts were on the list.. BINGO, Wentzville (suburb of St. Louis) received the first shipment earlier this spring. I decided to check them out and see if they were clearanced yet on my drive back to Illinois. They had around 50 that were in decent shape and they were priced at 11.99 a tree.
I grabbed three of them and found out while checking out they weren't marked down and were still 30 bucks a pop. I showed the cashier the stickers that were on two of the pots marked 11.99. Since only two had the stickers they honored the two that were priced incorrectly and I put the third back on the shelf.
Since we are getting closer to summer, do you guys think it would be smart to put these in 3 or 5 gallon rootmakers and hold on to them for the winter? Or I could plant them late this fall after they go dormant. I think it would be a mistake if I set them out at the farm now since I could only water once a week tops.. what would y'all do?
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you could do "all of the above." I planted mine. If you know you could water once a week that would be plenty. If there's a chance you can't then I'd go the rootmaker route and wait till they go dormant.

Matt, Do you have any experience using rootmaker bags with three gallon plants? What do you recommend between the knit fabric (below ground), root trapper, and root trapper grounder?

Almost got more discounted trees at the local Walmart near my families house, second shipment this late?

They had them marked down to $17 this time (we got 15 of them cheaper last month). My dad tried to talk them down but they declined and eventually threw them in the dumpster. $17 is a pretty decent price but I'm surprised they wouldn't mark them down again prior to tossing them in the dumpster.

I tend to get mine late like this and plant right away and then water with 5 gallons once a week for the first summer. The few I have done have all done fine. FYI - I make "weep buckets" (a 5 gallon bucket with small holes around the bottom) and place them in the exclusion cage of the tree. I then use my 55 gallon sprayer as a tanker truck and fill the buckets and move on the the next one. I do this once a week unless we get a decent rain and the trees do fine.

Three closest stores to me haven't got them in yet. Called the 4th closest and tbey got them in last night. Made the 1.5 hour drive down there and they were all gone. Somebody had stopped in and bought all 32 trees they had.

You guys buying them at marked down prices are spoiled.:(

Three closest stores to me haven't got them in yet. Called the 4th closest and tbey got them in last night. Made the 1.5 hour drive down there and they were all gone. Somebody had stopped in and bought all 32 trees they had.

You guys buying them at marked down prices are spoiled.:(
They were originally priced at $29.95 and were marked down to $18.95. There were 10 plus left.

The only decent tree I can find at walmart is one that had 2 different varieties of apples marked on the same tree.I don't even think they have the chestnuts in Kansas

For anyone within driving distance of Columbus, IN - the Rural King there has Dunstan Chestnuts right now.....I saw them yesterday!!!! The rest of their trees look like crap right now, but the dunstans looked much better.

Back