Bullet weight question

Laszlo

Hi,
I'm new to deer hunting with gun. I recently bought a Henry model x 360 Buckhammer. There is 180 and 200 grain ammo for this caliber. Which one should I use for whitetail?

I am typically a heavey for caliber guy, but once you get up to 35 caliber I don’t believe it matters as much, as long as the range is short.

Buy a box of each weight and shoot 5 shot groups with each weight. The rifle will tell you which ammo it prefers. Good luck with the new rifle this season, hoping to fill some tags with it.

The 180's will produce a flatter trajectory for long shots beyond 150 yards. 200 grain bullets really hit hard for animals larger than deer. My Uncle Larry shot many moose and bears in Canada with his 35 Remington Marlin rifle back in the 1960's. Your Buckhammer will do the job for you! - TR

I think other posters have framed things pretty well. Here are some considerations:
1) Gun Accuracy - Your particular gun may like one better than others. The range is the only place to find out.
2) Kinetic Energy - The formula is mass X velocity squared. Factory ammo will have the muzzle velocity posted.
3) Trajectory and ranging - The lighter projectile will likely have a higher muzzle velocity and a flatter trajectory. Inside 100 yard this doesn't matter. If you are shooting longer distances, it allows for more room for error in your distance estimate. If you are using a digital ranger, then this will make little difference.

There are more technical details like the BC of the projectile and such, but in practical terms, both ill have more than sufficient KE to kill whitetail deer are reasonable range.

These days there is one more consideration, availability. Some ammo can be hard to find. I don't know about your specific load, but it makes sense to take a look at how hard a particular load is to find and consider that in your choice.

Twenty grains difference between the two, that’s half of a .22 long rifle bullet. The deer will never know the difference and the trajectory ain’t gonna change much. Shoot the load that’s most accurate in your rifle. When you find the load you want, buy ten boxes, it is never gonna be less expensive. Good luck with your Henry, I only have two, one I’ve never fired in .45 Colt, and a .22 mag that’s like a lazer beam.

Back