Bullet Selection For Hunting (premiums vs. standard)

Elkaddict

What do you look for in a big game bullet and why? For me the answer depends upon a lot of factors. When I was a broke college student out west, I had one rifle for deer and elk hunting, and didn't want to to change ammo and resight between seasons. Accordingly, I ultimately landed upon handloaded 180 partitions out of an 30-06 at 2875fps for everything. Part of the choice was out of necessity. I'm badly color blind and need exit wounds to trail an animal. In addition, I long ago concluded I prefer to do my hunting before I shoot so when rifle hunting, I purposely try to take out shoulders (the loss of few pounds of meat is worth trade off for me). To do this on deer and elk, I needed a stout heavier bullet. As additional firearms entered the mix, I found myself specializing rifle bullet combinations for particular species. For example, in 340wby, my bullet of choice was 210 partitions as I wanted something flat enough to take 500 yard shots, but that would bust shoulders while still exiting at timber distances on elk. For deer (this was still when I lived out west), I landed upon a 300wby that would shoot one hole groups with 165g spire points (hornady interlocs). This combination rarely exited even 400+ yards, but out of dozens of deer and antelope, I think only 1 ever took a step when well hit (3450fps does that). I tried premium bullets in this rifle, but could never get the stellar accuracy the factory 165 spire points provided. When I moved to NY in 2008, I quickly realized the Weatherbys were less than ideal for woods hunting. While the 210 partitions at 3250fps are very effective on deer and antelope at any hunting range, the ammo has become very difficult to find and my handloads could never quite match the combination of accuracy/velocity the factory ammo provided. I ended up using the move help me rationalize new purchases:35 Whelen, 308, and 6.8. For woods ranges, using standard (200 or 225g bullets) the Whelen. is a real thumper providing excellent expansion and penetration. For hunting over most of our plots, the 308 or 6.8 are ideal--again with standard bullets. Standard bullets at standard velocities are reliable and provide good killing power while providing a high likelihood of an exit with broadside shots. Our largest plot does reach out 350yds. For this, I've dusted off a 7STW shooting 160g accubonds. My choice of accubonds was a balancing of accuracy and performance considerations. I wouldn't want to use a non premium bullet at 3400fps if a deer walked out 30yds. Are premium bullets always the answer? No they are not. Do they always provide the best accuracy? Not in my experience. Are they justified on deer size game using medium weight bullets at standard velocities? Only if they provide a level of confidence you otherwise wouldn't have, or you frequently find yourself shooting the south end of a north bound deer. Do they kill quicker? Not necessarily. On broadside shots, particularly at magnum velocities, I believe standard bullets that are more explosive will clearly kill a second or two quicker and are more likely to have an animal drop at the shot.. At standard velocities, standard bullets still give nothing up to premium bullets on broadside shots in my experience. For me, what the choice come downs to is balancing a number of factors including likely range, accuracy in the particular rifle, size of the game, and the confidence it gives the shooter. YMMV. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

I am much simpler. I have shot .270(130-150gr) pretty much my whole hunting life. Conveniently my dad also shoots .270 and reloads all of my ammunition.:D I typically shoot ballistic tips and really like the knock down shock they provide. My dad tends to shoot shoulders and drops a lot of deer rarely getting and exit. I tend to shoot just behind the shoulder and get short, massive blood trails with impressive exit wounds. Either way, deer don't go far.

I have only killed deer, coyote, and hogs with the .270 but have a good friend who dropped a 320" elk with the same hand loads.
Not sure of the ballistics, but seem to remember Dad telling me they were pushing 3000fs MV.

There is a lot to be said for simplicity and the familiarity that comes from one rifle and one load. Ballistic Tips shoot realy well and have worked well for me on deer. In 338, they were way to light for use on elk, even at longer ranges. I believe some calibers were built stouter than others and know some folks who have had good luck with 180g 30 cal on elk.

I am even simpler than that... 150 grain Remington Core Lokt factory ammo for my 30-06 and the same out of my Marlin 30-30...I am thinking of trying some Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain rounds out of my 30-30 this fall. I have Killed a coyote and a huge hog in the last 3 weeks with the 30-30/core lokt combo and they worked nicely...

As for what I look for?
Previous good experiences.
Cost
Availability
Accuracy

You can buy Remington Core Lokt ammo almost anywhere that sells ammo at all. It is very accurate, and it puts them down without any fuss. I have shot deer through the shoulders and down they went but my go to shot is the double lung behind the shoulder and must just be the bowhunter in me that makes that my go to shot...

Last edited:
I like a bullet that hits hard but still stays together well enough to exit and leave a blood trail. I always avoid hitting a shoulder. There isn't enough meat on a deer to have a bunch bloodshot. Over the years I have tried a bunch of different bullets in different rifles. I didn't like the Ballistic Tips because at my close mountain ranges the bullets would blow up but not exit. I never lost a deer, but I like an exit hole. Partitions are great bullets but just didn't group as tightly out of the rifle I was using at the time (270 Win). Here in the mountains where I hunt, 150 yards is a long shot, and I have shot them as close as 15 yards. In my experience the best bullet for me has been the plain old Sierra Prohunters and Gamekings. They shoot great groups and have hit hard and exited in all of the calibers I have loaded for. These calibers are 243, 270, 308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag. In my experience, it's hard to go too wrong with Sierras for deer.

Sheep, I got good accuracy our of Sierra Gameking 250g in 338 but disappointing expansion out past 300yds. I've read that they used a harder bullets in 338. After long tracking jobs on well hit elk, I moved on and never gave the lighter small calibers a try. Might have to do so given the stellar reputation for accuracy.

Most of my shots are around thirty yards or a little more or less;I shoot the 175 GR core-lokt 7mm Thomson center with a muzzle break in the top of the shoulder. My wife shoots the same gun model but in 100 GR core-lokt 243 and also shoots for the top of the shoulder. Either drops deer in their tracks and we consider that important here. If I was a long range shooter I would be checking all possible calibers but for woods shooting these bullets are accurate enough. We plan to use these guns indefinitely. With twenty or so years of use they are still shooting just fine. I feel more confident with the larger 7mm caliber versus the 243 for the really large deer that have occasionally stepped in front of me but so far my wife has not encountered one that the 243 did not drop.

I have shot deer through the shoulders and down they went but my go to shot is the double lung behind the shoulder and must just be the bowhunter in me that makes that my go to shot...

I think this is why I shoot for the double-lung with my gun as well. My dad and good friend both shoot the shoulder shot with good results, but when I see a deer, my eye immediately goes to the double lung(behind the shoulder) bullseye that I look for when shooting an arrow. Rarely have to go more than 50yds to recover.

Most of my shots are around thirty yards or a little more or less;I shoot the 175 GR core-lokt 7mm Thomson center with a muzzle break in the top of the shoulder. My wife shoots the same gun model but in 100 GR core-lokt 243 and also shoots for the top of the shoulder. Either drops deer in their tracks and we consider that important here. If I was a long range shooter I would be checking all possible calibers but for woods shooting these bullets are accurate enough. We plan to use these guns indefinitely. With twenty or so years of use they are still shooting just fine. I feel more confident with the larger 7mm caliber versus the 243 for the really large deer that have occasionally stepped in front of me but so far my wife has not encountered one that the 243 did not drop.

Dave, using heavy for caliber bullets is the classic way to achieve predictable performance. I'll bet the good old core-lokts are very predictable in those weights.on deer. A great example of where spending coin on premium bullets is unnecessary for your circumstances.

I think this is why I shoot for the double-lung with my gun as well. My dad and good friend both shoot the shoulder shot with good results, but when I see a deer, my eye immediately goes to the double lung(behind the shoulder) bullseye that I look for when shooting an arrow. Rarely have to go more than 50yds to recover.

I know for some, intentionally bushing shoulders is frowned upon. However, as noted, with my color blindness, I learned the benefit of having them DRT. It's not always possible to hit game just where we planned. Critters move, the wind blows and stuff happens, particularly at longer ranges. When I know I'm dealing with wind drift, I do shift my aim to center of the vitals to give more room for error. One thing the vast expanses of the west provides is you usually are able to watch where hit animals go and frequently have follow up shot opportunities. Very different from the deep woods experience where they're a bound from being out of sight.

Another vote for the Sierra GK. I shoot a .280 Rem and load 140 gr. SGKs for it. Very accurate and kills quickly. In my old age, I'm afraid I'm another shoulder shooter. Don't want to chase them or drag them very far these days !

I have killed more deer with 165 grain 30 cal core loks than anything else. I have used some ballistic tips and have some SST's loaded up I may use this season. I do not see the need for premium bullets on deer,

The "premium" label is, in many cases, a marketing gimmick that really means "something we just cooked up and hope that you'll buy and pay more for".

Basically, any bullet will kill a whitetail. So bullet selection is not a skill most whitetail hunters have much experience with because basically the gun goes bang and the deer falls over, so the bullet must have been marvelous, right? Well...

There's nothing "non-premium" about older Core-Lokt, Partition, or A-Frame bullets. These bullets represented tremendous innovation when they first came out, but that doesn't mean somehow they are now obsolete. Far from it, in fact they are PREFERRED in situations where they match the need.

Many whitetail hunters seem to have built up the whitetail in their minds so much these days that it seems like the ol' thin skinned whitetail now is second only to the Cape Buffalo in terms of what it takes to kill them. Magnumitius at its worst. The fact is that comparing North American game to the whole rest of the world, basically, we have some of the thinnest-skinned, easiest to kill big game on the planet here on our Continent. Basically, with the exception of the Grizzly, no native species is, by Global standards even close to hard to kill.

The attributes of so-called "premium" loads should be considered only in light of what's needed for a given species. Most "premium" loads are now using fast-expanding, "claw formation" bullets that are very good for thin-skinned, light game, and very bad for a lot of other things. The "best" load is combination of a bullet that has the required performance and then it still must shoot well from the rifle.

Grouse

In my 30-06 I use just about any 150 grain load. In my daughters 243 I start looking for a good bonded bullet...so caliber makes a little difference in my mind.

Due to my hunting style I shoot light, fast bullets that expand easily. If I hunted in big timber and shots were close, the choice might be different. Nosler Ballistic Tips are my favorite bullet , and yes I have read all the horror stories and laugh at them. I've seen the bullets exit and I've seen them not exit - it doesn't matter because the deer is always dead. Too much emphasis is put on bullet selection and not enough emphasis put on accurate shooting by the magazine gurus today.

You probably noticed in my other thread that I'm also using the Hornady SST now in some recent guns. I expect the performance to be similar to the BT.

Where I hunt, if you can get a broadside shoulder shot you can also get a lung shot. I always go for the lungs and it has always worked.

We are a rifle loving family and own a little of everything. I may not decide what to pick up and take until I leave the house. Most of my deer hunting has been with a 7 MM Rem Mag with my handload using a 120 Nosler BT at around 3,200 fps. That gun will shoot well under 1/2 MOA and sometimes down to 1/4 MOA depending on the wind. I've shot deer as close as 30 yards and as far a 430 yards with it, and it kills the same regardless of the distance. I must admit, I love the gun, but it is overkill. I like the reduced recoil of the little 308 and will probably hunt with it this year.

I've always liked 170 grain cor-lokts out of my 30-30 and 180 grain cor-lokts out of a 30-06. They stay together but still expand enough to pack a punch.

I've been shooting a 270 for years. My uncle Bob was a custom gun builder up in Montana. (As he put it, he built guns for people with more money than since.) He told me to get a 270, get a box of the 2 cheapest loads I could and take them to the range and see which one performed the best, and if I was able to shoot well at 200 yards just use them because no matter where you go in the US you'll be able to find those loads at the local store. I ended up using Winchester Power Points 150 grain and put a Ziess 4.5 x 14 x 50 on my Savage 111 and I've taken elk, deer and hogs with it out to 270 yards.

For the most part premium bullets are just advertising games to make more money for bullet manufactures. Millions of game animals have been harvested in the last 100 plus years with just plain ole bullets.
To my thinking if a premium bullet is needed for deer, elk or moose you are thinking in the wrong area. Now for a animal that may kill me I may error in the direction of a premium bullet.

Most important to me is an exit hole for tracking. To get that I'm willing to spend a little bit more for a premium bullet. Mostly, I shoot Partitions and Barnes X bullets since they were the best options when I started reloading back in the late 80's. Through the years I've tried a few other bullets (mostly ballistic Tips) and they were okay, but when the chips are down and you have to have a lot of penetration, I TRUST the Partition.

I've used a 300 Weatherby since the early 90's, as I wanted and all-around gun for Alaska. 200 grain partitions were chosen, and I still use the same load to this day. In fact, I'm still using the original Weatherby brass that came with the gun! This load has done it all across several continents and has never lost an animal. It never mattered whether the animal was at 400 yards or 20 feet, the bullet was going to perform and penetrate. This is fairly important if you spend a lot of time in country where the critters (even the ones you are not hunting) can have bad intentions. The same load was used this year to take my whitetail. Some may say it's overkill, but it's really not (the load was reduced a few years ago to reduce recoil, and now it's about like a heavy 30-06, but it kills just as well). I don't want to lose a deer to coyotes overnight or have to go to a neighbor and ask to cross his land to retrieve one.

Do you need a premium bullet? Absolutely not. Use whatever you want and with proper placement the odds are with you. I figure that the cost of using a reloaded premium bullet is still cheaper than a lot of mediocre factory loads, plus, what's a few more cents each year considering the amount of time, labor and money put into the hunt? To me it's cheap, cheap insurance. I wish all choices were this easy;)

Back