Building, shop, barn? Ideas?

Looks like someone screwed up on that top picture of the big one on one of the shipping containers. They have all doors out but the top one on the right that is doors in and makes it useless for storage by forklift...
Yep they sure did. I just grabbed some pics online to show what I meant, but that's pretty fitting b/c they're usually used in bassackwards places.

QSI buildings is popular over here word is they are very affordable might look at them if interested
I sent off a bunch of "quote requests" this week. QSI is one of them I've heard back from.. $17,500 for a 20x36 installed. That's quite a bit higher than I expected for what I consider a fairly small space.

Kits don't seem to be much cheaper once you add electric and cement.

If you can get cheap used 2-7/8" oilfield production tubing then with a bit of work you could weld trusses up to span two 40' containers. Using pole barn metal to cover the containers also would dress things up a bit. The feasibility of that probably depends a bit on what the building inspectors are like around you, since they wouldn't be engineered trusses....any PE stamp would negate all the savings in a hurry.
Oil field pipe is everywhere. You can find it for less than a dollar per foot on craigslist but I think it could be had cheaper if you just go knock on some old rancher's doors. After talking $$$ with some building companies I'm starting to lean this direction.
If you drove around the county here and looked at some of the cobbled up crap in people's yards you would think there is no building inspector! I'll ask specifics before I build (if I go this route).

You said the fabric hoops hold up well. Were the one's you've been around exposed to any wind? We have plenty of wind and tornadoes around. Hail storms too.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been too busy to keep up with the conversation but I have been following along.
I think this would be a hole lot easier if I didn't have 4ft of rock at the surface. The ability to drill holes and set posts would make this whole affair much easier.

Oil field pipe is everywhere. You can find it for less than a dollar per foot on craigslist but I think it could be had cheaper if you just go knock on some old rancher's doors. After talking $$$ with some building companies I'm starting to lean this direction.
If you drove around the county here and looked at some of the cobbled up crap in people's yards you would think there is no building inspector! I'll ask specifics before I build (if I go this route).

You said the fabric hoops hold up well. Were the one's you've been around exposed to any wind? We have plenty of wind and tornadoes around. Hail storms too.
In Angola, Africa (Luanda) they were exposed to pretty constant offshore breezes that could get nasty at times and held up well but we just had the roof there set up in-line with the prevailing wind direction. I doubt a fabric end cover would've held up as well. The other places I worked with them didn't have gnarly winds. I don't know much about Kansas but I know you guys get some crazy storms and twisters. I think the fabric would handle hail okay it's stretched so tight and it's thick enough I think the hail would just bounce off. Whether it can handle crazy Kansas storms, well that might be another story. I have no idea about the cost but Steelmaster's container roofs are slick: http://www.steelmasterusa.com/container-covers/. More expensive than DIY i'm sure but might be worth it to some.

In Angola, Africa (Luanda) they were exposed to pretty constant offshore breezes that could get nasty at times and held up well but we just had the roof there set up in-line with the prevailing wind direction. I doubt a fabric end cover would've held up as well. The other places I worked with them didn't have gnarly winds. I don't know much about Kansas but I know you guys get some crazy storms and twisters. I think the fabric would handle hail okay it's stretched so tight and it's thick enough I think the hail would just bounce off. Whether it can handle crazy Kansas storms, well that might be another story. I have no idea about the cost but Steelmaster's container roofs are slick: http://www.steelmasterusa.com/container-covers/. More expensive than DIY i'm sure but might be worth it to some.
I do see some fabric hoops around here but none of them look very old. I should stop and talk with owners to see what their thoughts on them are.

The Steelmaster link is exactly what I've been concocting on my own. I should have known that someone had already done it. I sent them a quote request... Thanks.

I do see some fabric hoops around here but none of them look very old. I should stop and talk with owners to see what their thoughts on them are.

The Steelmaster link is exactly what I've been concocting on my own. I should have known that someone had already done it. I sent them a quote request... Thanks.
please keep us posted if they're a reasonable cost, might work for a lot of us. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

Thanks for the link. I set them a request as well. I'm intrigued by the use of a couple 40' containers as a base. Because it's not permanent, I think I can avoid the permit process which in turn may avoid a visit from the assessor:)

Outside of the metropolitan areas here there are no building inspections required. Obviously your a fool if you have a home built and no inspections done. However, to build a shed in the country requires no permit or inspection. Have you contemplated putting up a pole barn yourself? They arent that hard to build. Renting a lift of some kind to get guys up safely to do the upper work would be the biggest expense.

Outside of the metropolitan areas here there are no building inspections required. Obviously your a fool if you have a home built and no inspections done. However, to build a shed in the country requires no permit or inspection. Have you contemplated putting up a pole barn yourself? They arent that hard to build. Renting a lift of some kind to get guys up safely to do the upper work would be the biggest expense.
I've about decided building it myself is the only way I can afford to get something even close to what I want. Trying to figure out how to build a pole barn on a giant rock...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine and I built a 28' x 25' stick framed garage for around $8500. Slab was already there, though. Metal sided, metal roof, 3 windows, 16' overhead door, and an entry door. Materials only.

Pour the concrete slab with a thickened edge and then look at the sturdy wall brackets that perma column makes. This would solve a few problems. No digging deeper than a foot or so and also there is no wood in the ground to rot away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those perma bracket look promising. I have the local concrete guy coming out this weekend. I'll know more after he looks at the site.

Those perma bracket look promising. I have the local concrete guy coming out this weekend. I'll know more after he looks at the site.

I looked at perma column and liked the idea for the pole barn we're going to put this year. The companies that didn't offer them used this line of reasoning - 1) our laminated post columns are warrantied for 50 years. 2) you have significantly less wind shear strength in your building by not having columns buried. I never dug into it but they offered to provide the engineering numbers on wind shear. Maybe a real consideration depending on site/local conditions. Myself, I'm sold on the perma columns and will be using them.

I looked at perma column and liked the idea for the pole barn we're going to put this year. The companies that didn't offer them used this line of reasoning - 1) our laminated post columns are warrantied for 50 years. 2) you have significantly less wind shear strength in your building by not having columns buried. I never dug into it but they offered to provide the engineering numbers on wind shear. Maybe a real consideration depending on site/local conditions. Myself, I'm sold on the perma columns and will be using them.

Wind sheer is a very real consideration! I live in KS and on top of a hill to boot. Storms with 60-70 mph straight winds happen every yr. Tornado's are also a real threat, but honestly if one of those hit it doesn't matter how it's built.
The reason for considering them is that I can't dig or drill on this site. Solid rock! So post's set in the ground aren't an option :(

Wind sheer is a very real consideration! I live in KS and on top of a hill to boot. Storms with 60-70 mph straight winds happen every yr. Tornado's are also a real threat, but honestly if one of those hit it doesn't matter how it's built.
The reason for considering them is that I can't dig or drill on this site. Solid rock! So post's set in the ground aren't an option :(
Solid rock is hard to dill with but I think the electric company folks can still drill it...My dad saw them putting a pole up along the county road and talked them into drilling 4 holes through solid rock so he could set some gate post...

Solid rock is hard to dill with but I think the electric company folks can still drill it...My dad saw them putting a pole up along the county road and talked them into drilling 4 holes through solid rock so he could set some gate post...

When the electric company put our line in they drilled 11 or 12 holes in one day. The next day was spent drilling 1 hole (and took a special head to drill it). Guess where I'm putting my building... Right next to that last hole! I'm not saying that I won't go that route as I haven't actually asked the electric company if they would do it and how much they charge. My assumption is that if it takes a day per hole to drill that I'm not going to be able to afford it.

Those brackets are fine and are engineered. That builder is noting wanting to do the extra work to install the brackets. Plenty of buildings use this method all over the country. Wood in he ground is junk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back