Building, shop, barn? Ideas?

Buddy of mine just used DYI pollbarns. Design it online and they will send you a bid.
Prices and material are great. Shipping is included. They will send a tractor trailer with everything an dump it off in your front yard

We had a 50' X 100' X 16' pole barn with concrete floor built for 36K by the Amish this past year. Tough to beat the prices you get from the Amish.

Not sure if it helps anyone wondering about prices. Few years ago I built a 36x56 with 10' walls. Two windows, 1 service door and 2 16' insulated overhead doors. Cupola, wainscoting and 1' overhang. I sent prints to the 3 biggest builders here in Indiana. All bids were within 1000$. Total cost was 17,500$ installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it helps anyone wondering about prices. Few years ago I built a 36x56 with 10' walls. Two windows, 1 service door and 2 16' insulated overhead doors. Cupola, wainscoting and 1' overhang. I sent prints to the 3 biggest builders here in Indiana. All bids were within 1000$. Total cost was 17,500$ installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great price! Did it include concrete?

Last edited:
Okie, I'd love to know what your 30x50 would cost. Up here in NY, things are stupid expensive. 2 years ago, we had a bid for a 40x60x14 tall. The gravel and concrete alone were 14k. All in with 3 garage doors and a walkin was 52k. I declined. Does anyone have experience with these metal buildings? They are far cheaper--I just fear getting what I paid for down the road. They can enclose these and add garage doors.
https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.co...-metal-buildings-p/32x41-vertical-carport.htm
Elk that is a valid point about maybe not getting what you might have in the barn when you sell it. When we sold our house in Connecticut with a barn. We received no more money than houses like it were selling for. It was a high quality Morton building with extras and was a pleasure to look at and work in. It sat well on the 3 1/2 acre lot and looked good. I enjoyed the heck out of it and it was worth having had it built.

It was a factor in selling the house but it didn't add to the sale price (kinda like what I hear swimming pools are like). Still If I were to build another barn it would be just like the three we have built so far but with the addition of a ten ft. lean-to on each length instead of one length. We have 12 ft. walls, 1 inch thermatex on roof with seams TAPED under the steel, 1/2 inch thermatex with seams taped on all walls, two ft. overhang with gutters, insulated 12 ft. wide over head doors, two pass doors and plywood all around the lower four ft. inside the barn sitting on six inches of concrete with thick plastic and insulation board underneath it. I put Pex in the concrete for heat and electricity of course is a must. Winters are long here so 64 ft. was the minimum length ;it allowed a twenty yard bow shot on snow days.

Its money you don't necessarily get back but it makes being in there great. Note--in Connecticut the insulation was because you couldn't stand being in them in the summer without it --too hot plus roofs "rained" inside. In New York--same reason plus a start at insulating for the cold and preventing icicles in the winter which would take gutters down.

So the first thing in building a barn is defining your absolute criteria for having it. The cost can run from twenty to seventy-five thousand or more for a 42 by 64 plus lean-to's depending on what you are looking for.

I'm with you Catscratch on the trailer boxes--I don't want to see something like that every day regardless of the low cost. As a very temporary deal though it would be fine but no not as a permanent structure. For you Catscratch I understand how you would weld outside so a hot building may not be a big deal. However as time goes by your use of the building may change and doing it over usually doesn't produce as great a building. Everything changes overtime.

Elk that is a valid point about maybe not getting what you might have in the barn when you sell it. When we sold our house in Connecticut with a barn. We received no more money than houses like it were selling for. It was a high quality Morton building with extras and was a pleasure to look at and work in. It sat well on the 3 1/2 acre lot and looked good. I enjoyed the heck out of it and it was worth having had it built.

It was a factor in selling the house but it didn't add to the sale price (kinda like what I hear swimming pools are like). Still If I were to build another barn it would be just like the three we have built so far but with the addition of a ten ft. lean-to on each length instead of one length. We have 12 ft. walls, 1 inch thermatex on roof with seams TAPED under the steel, 1/2 inch thermatex with seams taped on all walls, two ft. overhang with gutters, insulated 12 ft. wide over head doors, two pass doors and plywood all around the lower four ft. inside the barn sitting on six inches of concrete with thick plastic and insulation board underneath it. I put Pex in the concrete for heat and electricity of course is a must. Winters are long here so 64 ft. was the minimum length ;it allowed a twenty yard bow shot on snow days.

Its money you don't necessarily get back but it makes being in there great. Note--in Connecticut the insulation was because you couldn't stand being in them in the summer without it --too hot plus roofs "rained" inside. In New York--same reason plus a start at insulating for the cold and preventing icicles in the winter which would take gutters down.

So the first thing in building a barn is defining your absolute criteria for having it. The cost can run from twenty to seventy-five thousand or more for a 42 by 64 plus lean-to's depending on what you are looking for.

I'm with you Catscratch on the trailer boxes--I don't want to see something like that every day regardless of the low cost. As a very temporary deal though it would be fine but no not as a permanent structure. For you Catscratch I understand how you would weld outside so a hot building may not be a big deal. However as time goes by your use of the building may change and doing it over usually doesn't produce as great a building. Everything changes overtime.

Dave, did you consider spray insulation? Don't see it much in this part of the country but have out west. Overall, did you feel like the Morton premium was worth it? Why? They were like 30k more for what I bid out a couple years ago. They unapologetically claimed they were higher quality but couldn't quantify or explain.

Last edited:
Dave, did you consider spray insulation? Don't see it much in this part of the country but have out west. Overall, did you feel like the Morton premium was worth it? Why? They were like 30k more for what I bid out a couple years ago. They unapologetically claimed they were higher quality but couldn't quantify or explain.
Buying the best if one wants that is always worth it and Morton is among the best. Here in new York we went with Complete Construction Concepts (CCC) and found them to be top notch as well. We did use spray foam on our sun room addition but also put the one inch of thermatex under the metal roof as we knew it worked and the spray foam was an unknown for us. On the why for the Morton or CCC I'll show you when we eventually get together or we can go over it on the phone.

With that said we coordinated the building of a barn for a person from out of state and it was strictly an equipment parking barn. It was built for less than half of Morton or CCC and it met his needs just fine. In comparison it was soooo rough but it was all he wanted for that application.

In 2008 I built a 40 x 92 with a 14' lean-to down one side. 12' side walls with 3 10' overhead doors, and an entry door for $30. All concrete. Did all the labor myself, except the pour.

I priced several in the area for a stick built shed and pole barn 40x64x14. The both stick built bids beat both Morton and Cleary all of them were within a couple thousand though. Mine is sitting next to the house and I didn't want to look at a dilapidated shed in 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

01-15523463469.jpg

Portable_Shipping_Container_Shelter_ea163844_o.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

I've worked in some bassackwards countries in the oil industry, where either due to local bureaucracy (read corruption) or local shortages and skyrocketing costs for labor/materials etc. we utilized the container building styles in these pics (stacked containers were welded). The oilfield is often here today gone tomorrow as drilling moves on or there's a bust so they were a good solution vs. spending a ton of money on a permanent structure that you wished was 300 kms in another direction 6 months later. The fabric hoop roofs held up really well (from experience 10+ years in terrible conditions) and were very cost effective. I assume you can find the same here in the US.

10ft tall and setting on either a gravel pad, railroad ties, or large truck rims will bring the container's height to 11ft. No snow loads to worry about so pitch isn't a factor so long as it drains. If I build the lean-to's from steel pipe (probably 2 7/8 oil field pipe as it's common here) then there will be plenty of strength. I figure the opening for the lean-to's will be 10ft tall. Everything I have will fit under 10ft.

For me I would rather have two lean-to's than a single roof in the center. Double the cost for two containers and I only see fitting 4 vehicles under the center roof (two from each end) instead of the 8 the lean-to's would park. Would be a sweet set-up but not ideal for my needs. Do you already have the carport roof? That would make a difference on how appealing it would be...
If you can get cheap used 2-7/8" oilfield production tubing then with a bit of work you could weld trusses up to span two 40' containers. Using pole barn metal to cover the containers also would dress things up a bit. The feasibility of that probably depends a bit on what the building inspectors are like around you, since they wouldn't be engineered trusses....any PE stamp would negate all the savings in a hurry.

Looking that over I am seeing the worth if they pour the concrete, otherwise that's a bunch of money for a carport...we could build a pole barn in 30 x 50 without concrete for that...

I had a friend just build a 40 x 60 with two lean offs, extra thick concrete for a lift, 14 feet tall, fully insulated, 3 garage doors, 1 walk in and 2 Windows and wired for right around $20k.

Different part of the country with lots of competition in the pole barn arena...
I had that exact size building quoted around here and all quotes were 60K+

I had that exact size building quoted around here and all quotes were 60K+
We have lots of pole barn competition in our area. We have 4 places between our house and town that specialize in all supplies for pole barns and then everyone in the area has gone into business building pole barns. I can hardly wait to get our new one up but I have lots to do before then...

01-15523463469.jpg

Portable_Shipping_Container_Shelter_ea163844_o.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

I've worked in some bassackwards countries in the oil industry, where either due to local bureaucracy (read corruption) or local shortages and skyrocketing costs for labor/materials etc. we utilized the container building styles in these pics (stacked containers were welded). The oilfield is often here today gone tomorrow as drilling moves on or there's a bust so they were a good solution vs. spending a ton of money on a permanent structure that you wished was 300 kms in another direction 6 months later. The fabric hoop roofs held up really well (from experience 10+ years in terrible conditions) and were very cost effective. I assume you can find the same here in the US.

Looks like someone screwed up on that top picture of the big one on one of the shipping containers. They have all doors out but the top one on the right that is doors in and makes it useless for storage by forklift...

QUOTE="Elkaddict, post: 32997, member: 157"]Gator, I expect a traditional pole barn bid with concrete to come in the mid 50s here.[/QUOTE]

One of the funny things about price quotes we received that were based on the same specs, the known to be more expensive builders all came in cheaper. Here is one of the details that separates some pole barns from others. The metal and the paint on said metal is not all of the same quality. The metal used here was Fabral, it is guaranteed against EDGE RUST for twenty years. And the paint they used is holding up super well. Below is a picture of a brand new Fabral metal panel purchased last year. It is leaning against the same metal that was put up in 2006 on the south side of the barn.

DSC_9628a.jpg

Yes there is a difference but it is very slight. It had minimal fading whereas some metal sidings are unrecognizable in ten years and many have edge rust--these eleven year old metal panels have zero perceivable edge rust on very close examination. Notice how un-fresh the paint on many metal barns look as you drive around town.. It's OK if that is what they paid for but there is a difference.

A second major difference between pole barns is--Is it built from engineered plans? And built for what wind speed and snow load?

Back