Bugs in brassicas.

rthr-b-hntg

This is 2 yrs in a row that i has bugs demolish the leaves in a brassica plot. Up until mid September all looks good. Then I get back to the property a few weeks later and the little critters have done their damage. Both years I could find the actual bugs that caused the damage but the evidence is clear.

Is there away to prevent this from happing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

You could or could not find the bugs? More than likely army worm if the damage is extensive.

I could not find the bugs. One 1/4 acre plot no leaves left. I don’t leave near the property and if I’m gone a few weeks. I may not know it even started.
If army worms or other is there a way to prevent it?

I could not find the bugs. One 1/4 acre plot no leaves left. I don’t leave near the property and if I’m gone a few weeks. I may not know it even started.
If army worms or other is there a way to prevent it?

Might help with a pic but my money is on your deer have already eaten those leaves and bugs not the issue in your area. That's a small plot and I've seen mine go thru an acre in short order, especially if foods are limited and decent deer numbers. No leaves left on mine for couple weeks thanks to drought and limited foods.

that's why it is important to always use an exclusion cage. It will tell you if it is over browsing or plot failure.

Reactions: JFH
I noticed something getting after mine this year too. Some of the leaves are full of holes. There are many totally missing but that is the deer eating them.

This is 2 yrs in a row that i has bugs demolish the leaves in a brassica plot. Up until mid September all looks good. Then I get back to the property a few weeks later and the little critters have done their damage. Both years I could find the actual bugs that caused the damage but the evidence is clear.

Is there away to prevent this from happing ?

I sometimes have to spray pesticide. I try not to, but protecting expensive RR alfalfa from leafhoppers is a priority. Apple trees need protection for certain as well.

I usually use a generic version of Sevin, available for farm use via my local coop. Easy to use with same three point sprayer I use for herbicides. Works fast and dissipates fast.

Best to spray at first sign of damage as most crop damage is done by the larvae, nymphs, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Back