Brush Piles for Rabbits

Jerry D

I'm trying to improve the small game population.

I've been told to make brush piles by the old timers. The reason I haven't. Is most of the brush is pretty rotten and making something coyote or fox proof would require tons of brush that would take a long time to find.

I then did some reading and wow use skids as the base layer! How many skids would you use? Just one or two like a rectangle per pile and scatter them around? I would have tons of pine needles that I could rake up around the sides of each one to put on top as well as some brush but mostly white and red pine needles.

I can purchase plastic skids for 3.00 that would last forever and they have a tight weave mesh 1x1" top that nothing could get through.

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=a...i13i30k1.333.bNNPJjtAK0E#imgrc=mx4xc22sHgTYxM:

Thoughts

I'm trying to improve the small game population.

I've been told to make brush piles by the old timers. The reason I haven't. Is most of the brush is pretty rotten and making something coyote or fox proof would require tons of brush that would take a long time to find.

I then did some reading and wow use skids as the base layer! How many skids would you use? Just one or two like a rectangle per pile and scatter them around? I would have tons of pine needles that I could rake up around the sides of each one to put on top as well as some brush but mostly white and red pine needles.

I can purchase plastic skids for 3.00 that would last forever and they have a tight weave mesh 1x1" top that nothing could get through.

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=a...i13i30k1.333.bNNPJjtAK0E#imgrc=mx4xc22sHgTYxM:

Thoughts
Skids like these. I would plan to put a pile of pine needles on them like leaves about 12" thick. Every year more needles would fall into them.
a703725270f15b90e77360bb35f90f1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Around here, used wood pallets can be had for free if condition and size don't matter. I like the idea of plastic that won't rot. Perhaps one or two layers of plastic and then pile on wood pallets and culvert or pipe cut offs.

I would not use pine needles though. IMHO, I'd worry about it being wet and not ideal for rabbit nests. I've never added anything fine to my piles unless it's incidental to a branch or what gets pushed in if using equipment. If there is sun, your pallet piles should green up fast.

Wouldn't see why they shouldn't work fine. Maybe cover the first one with an old piece of tin or something to keep the rain off. I'd use a pile of them since one wouldn't provide enough depth. Just remember that safety is #1 for rabbits and if you can make them feel safe and secure they'll use them. If a coyote or fox could easily get close to them they probably won't use them as cover. If you could drop a tree over them it would be perfect.

I've never put pallets under them but I have made brushpiles for rabbits. They work and quail like them too. I found a great way to add to your pile is grow some clover next to it, and if you want to make it even sweeter keep that clover mowed short. Short grass/clover next to brush seems to be a rabbit's dream habitat.

That's great!

I hope the like ladino clover!

I have about a half acre in ladino for the deer. Will put some piles along the edge of it!

Never used pallets but they would certainly work. We have done tons over the years where we lay 3-4 logs on the ground and 3-4 across the top of those, we then just start throwing brush on top. Try to use bigger brush on the bottom and smaller stuff on top. They will hold rabbits every time from my experience. A clover plot nearby will certainly make them more attractive.

Keep the piles loose with as little dirt as possible. Dozer piles with a bunch of dirt and tight packed brush just up your predator pop. Think of it more as escape cover than a place to live.

Back