boundary dispute

To answer that you would have to think like they think. Consider this is the same guy who thought he would hunt out of my box blind on opening morning two years ago and he seemed baffled that I would not allow that. The only reason I knew of his intentions is because I approached him to let him know where my hunting group would be.
He is also the same guy that can't understand why I built a box blind "right behind his house". It's 200 yards from his house and 100 yards from the property line and sets on the only field on the property. The same guy that as I was building this box blind would stand at his property line and empty a clip or two. The same guy that had a target set up on his property line with my box blind with my family inside 100 yards down range. The same guy that dropped a power line with his shotgun.
Sorry for the rant. I feel better now....sort of.

Here in Oklahoma they would have no recourse even if the driveway ended up being on their property they bought a while back. I believe it is called "adverse possession" or something. If you use, maintain in full view and as if it were your own and nobody stops you or says anything for a period of time then they lose the right to stop you if a new survey shows the driveway on their side...I am assuming the driveway has been there for many years...

Having said that I have 2 stories to tell.

My uncle bought 80 acres of raw land back in 1972 (my land now) and a family was using a road that began on his property about 100 yards inside the line and went approximately 250 yards and skirted a hollow before getting them onto their house and land. The driveway had been there for many years and the previous owners never said a thing. My uncle asked them to stop using it which fell on deaf ears. He put barbed wire across and they cut it. He felled trees across it and they sawed them up. He spoke with an attorney who told him he was SOL as he was the new owner and they had been using that drive for many years and never hid the fact. My uncle decided to give it one more try hoping they didn't know the law and wouldn't fight him in it. He hired a backhoe operator to dig a huge ditch across it while they were at work...it worked! They hired a dozer operator and he built them a road through the hollow on their side and my uncle got full use of his land back...could have easily gone the other way...when I purchased I made sure their were no legal easements...

Here is a picture of the old dim driveway. You can see how it looped around the head of the hollow to get back to that house. You can also see the new driveway.

ebaa5d6d7e84f78ec3bc2f2eb8682fb7.jpg

Story 2

My parents purchased 50 acres of land from my grandparents and built my childhood home on it. The parcel was completely fenced and I grew up on the property. My dad had my brother and I clear 10 acres of woods on the NE corner when I was 17 for more cattle grazing. A friend of my dads from his work bought 40 landlocked acres behind us and my dad gave them an easement along just inside the north fence and also a utility easement along the same route. When I was about 28 or so the north neighbor had a survey done and the survey line came right up next to my parents house which was over 100 yards from the fence and actually encompassed all the driveways, parking area to their home and all of the new neighbors easement and utility easements. All in all almost 5 acres of land or so. My dad had to go to court but won the case as the existing fence had been there for over 50 years and was maintained by my father and the north neighbor. Nobody ever knew it wasn't on the line but it became the new line because we used, maintained out in the open and the north neighbor never said a word and maintained it as the boundary too. We grazed up to the fence on our side and they did on their side. We found out the north neighbor did the survey on a whim due to dad giving an easement to his friend.

Here is a picture of the second scenario. The land outlined in purple is mine over there. The 10 acre parcel outlined in Orange on the NW corner is my brothers and the Orange line on his southern boundary that starts at his SE corner and go's due east across the pond bank is where the survey line is but you will notice the new neighbors easement and the fact my purple line runs well up into it. You can also see where the line took my folks driveway and parking area at their house...
The red Square on the SW corner is my original 10 acres I inherited years ago and the purple is what I have now.

71d0a4e508c60067fab55323865ef6df.jpg

Last edited:
To answer that you would have to think like they think. Consider this is the same guy who thought he would hunt out of my box blind on opening morning two years ago and he seemed baffled that I would not allow that. The only reason I knew of his intentions is because I approached him to let him know where my hunting group would be.
He is also the same guy that can't understand why I built a box blind "right behind his house". It's 200 yards from his house and 100 yards from the property line and sets on the only field on the property. The same guy that as I was building this box blind would stand at his property line and empty a clip or two. The same guy that had a target set up on his property line with my box blind with my family inside 100 yards down range. The same guy that dropped a power line with his shotgun.
Sorry for the rant. I feel better now....sort of.
So you neighbor is just a prick. Nothing else needs said...

As of yesterday there has been no survey done. I checked the pins at both ends of the property to make sure they had not been tampered with and we're easily found. I also set two cameras up and set them for video so I can see for myself where the surveyor marks his line.
If the neighbors claim is proven incorrect and the line that I know is upheld I doubt I'll hear a thing from them. They don't seem the type to concede. They'll likely think that their surveyor is wrong and they are still right. Relations will still be tense which is unfortunate.
Chances are you won't be able to tell where their surveyor marks the line. You will need to see the completed survey map in order to tell where he puts it. Like I said previously; more than likely he'll hold the line that your surveyor had.

Back