black bear encounters on the ground

Redfin

For the guys who hunt the ground with a bow. I was wondering what you have to say about black bear encounters hunting the ground. Years back I was in a treestand well before first light and I had a bear walk through just under my stand. I could see his shadow. While it freaked me out a little, he just came and went really. I have seen a few videos of bears climbing trees that hunters are in. That looks a little more scary but I doubt a bear can or would launch a full blown attack someone in a stand as the bear needs to hold on to the tree. Maybe I am completely wrong on that too. I like to hunt the ground (no blind) and I was wondering if anyone can share some experiences or advice with such encounters on the ground. In most of the videos of treestand hunters that I mentioned they stayed completely motion less and the bears were literally on top of them. I can't imagine this exact scenario on the ground. You would be at an incredible disadvantage allowing a bear to get that close. Please share your thoughts on what you should do..

Black bears are more afraid of you than you are of them, you have nothing to fear hunting from a ground blind, although my first preference for bear hunting from a stand location would be an elevated stand for better visibility and to get my scent off the ground. I have been within 10 to 20 feet of black bears multiple times, as soon as the black bear knows a human is around they will run away as fast as possible. An exception would be a mama bear with smaller cubs in the summer, if you get between the female and her cubs you might be in trouble. Black bear incidents happen with a mother with small cubs or when a wounded bear is cornered. And grizzly bears are totally different, they have little fear of anything.
Most of those videos of bears climbing a tree where the hunter is in are probably staged in a pen with bait to attract tame bears, but bears climbing trees have happened with smaller bears, my friends son was in a box stand and a black bear started climbing the ladder, but the bear didn't know that any humans were around. Full grown bears will not climb trees very often because they can't climb smaller trees, a tree has to be bigger then they can reach around so that they can use their claws to get a grip for climbing, so you would be definitely be ok in a 16" tree in a climbing treestand.

Had few encounters up here.....really only time i think you need to worry is for whatever reason you get in between momma and cubs. Like Mman said they are very skittish of humans. Did have one encounter blackberry picking one year and all sudden i see 2 cubs run up a tree next to me, that gets your heart beating when bushes are over your head and can't see 2 feet in front of you.

To be safe when i'm turkey hunting or early bow season i'll carry around some bear pepper spray. Cheap insurance to have and much more effective than a side arm in my opinion as i tell you what if have an angry bear coming up at you full speed how many of us can hit a basketball size target as it is swaying back and forth. Spray you put a cloud out there and give you better chance to get out of there.

I have bear spray with me. Those treestand videos don’t look staged to me. Bear are curious by nature. How close is too close I guess is what I was getting at.

Spray some Anise extract on you like cologne and you should get some close up experience.

Having bear hunted a fair amount I can say that the bears climbing trees are not staged. Most of the time they see your shape and are curious what is in the tree. Same with tearing up ground blinds, they see something new and play with it. The best thing to do is move a little or say something to them in a calm voice to let them know you are there and not startle them. Do not shake brush or wiggle branches, that is a sign of aggression in bears. There isn't much difference of being on the ground or in a tree if a bear wants you. They will cover the 15 feet up into a tree faster than you can react. The bear spray won't do any good unless it is out and close by.

Your odds of having a tree fall on you while in a ground blind is better than having trouble with a bear.

I don’t know about bears, but I know about hogs. Most feral hogs are content to run like hell when bumping into humans. This works just fine until one decides he ain’t gonna follow that script, which is usually not in the best light. Hogs, as most animals, are a little less scared in low light or darkness. So my recommendation would be like the Boy Scouts said. Be prepared !

I walked up within ten yards of a sow and two cubs on a bait barrel a week ago. Cubs ran off and sow halfway stood up and we had a stare down for about ten seconds. She slowly turned and trotted off. Never acted aggressive. I hunted a bait a couple years ago out of a ground blind. Bears got in it and tore it apart while I was gone - but never tried that when I was in it.

I haven't hunted too many black bears from the ground but usually used tree stands over bait in Alaska. The main problem I'd see is smaller bears coming in and getting ornery. I've had little 3 y/o bears standing at the bottom of the tree hitting it and popping their jaws. Probably wouldn't be fun at ground level;) Many friends have had black bears climb up to smell them, but nothing serious. I wouldn't be terribly concerned to be honest, but we did a lot of spot and stalk on grizzly.
I think a lot depends on if you are baiting or not. IMO if you aren't baiting, ground hunting is a bit safer. Something about a bait makes the bears get a little more aggressive.

Depends on the Bears in YOUR area. Are they used to Human contact or is it a rare thing to them?

I've called in a HUGE Black Bear while Spring Gobbler Hunting and I was sitting on the ground against a tree base. Caught movement in the corner of my eye and thought it was a Big Gobbler sneaking in. Turned out to be a Huge Black Bear. He was hunting Turkey same as I was. I stayed very very still and watched him look around for the sounds he had heard coming from that area, then the Flock of Birds I was working just over the edge of the Ridge started talking again. He eased over to the edge and when he spotted them, Charged down over to try and get one. Turkeys Flew Everywhere. I have no idea IF he was successful of not. I DO KNOW I got up and eased out of there.

He was about 30 yards from me during the Encounter.

I also heard something outside one day when I was living in an old Mobile Home that I had built a deck on. I stepped outside on the deck and something about that Bag of Garbage that didn't look right. Then I realized why as the Two Black Eyes looking at me over the edge of the Bag sunk in. I stepped back inside the Trailer and told the wife and kids that there was a Big Bear on the porch, of course they didn't believe me. Then the Dog that was on his chain near the front end of the trailer and the opposite side of the porch started barking as he realized the Bear was there, which made the Bear leave. He walked past the front end of my Plymouth Trail Duster (think Dodge Ram Charger) and his Back was EVEN with the top of the Hood. Yup he was a Biggin'. Oh and he was about 7 ft from me to his head and he was standing on the ground leaning onto the Porch to get into the Bag.

Heck I had a Huge WOLF walk through my Set up when I was sitting on a chair in a brush pile one year. That one shook me up, never seen one before, found out later that a Wolf Preserve about 12-15 Miles from our Property had lost a few during Hurricane Micheal. Made me feel better that I wasn't crazy when I said I saw one anyway.

Point is, You spend enough time in the Woods and you WILL see things and experience things that most folks NEVER will. That's part of the beauty of it all. Best is to just Keep Your Head and usually things will work out. Wildlife is more Afraid of You than you are of them for the Most Part, the few that aren't is why you carry a back up System on you at all times.

I’ve had 6 encounters within 10 yards. Two were more like 6 feet. All ended the same way. Bear freight trained it outta there at 50 mph.
I have 2 mature chestnut orchards and 5 mature sawtooth orchards. I still hunt them for deer every year, usually while going to a stand. I’ve had great success on deer doing this and is my favorite thing to do. For some reason, I’ve never seen a bear before it’s seen me. One came down from a sawtooth 5 yards away, hit the ground and took off. It’s quite startling and definitely gets you blood going but I have zero fear of them. Respect yes, fear no.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I haven't hunted too many black bears from the ground but usually used tree stands over bait in Alaska. The main problem I'd see is smaller bears coming in and getting ornery. I've had little hitting it and popping their jaws. Probably wouldn't be fun at ground level;) Many friends have had black bears climb up to smell them, but nothing serious. I wouldn't be terribly concerned to be honest, but we did a lot of spot and stalk on grizzly.
I think a lot depends on if you are baiting or not. IMO if you aren't baiting, ground hunting is a bit safer. Something about a bait makes the bears get a little more aggressive.

No baiting here. No bear hunting here either. I am deer hunting. This year we have seen a few different bears on camera some with a cub or two. That is the situation that I worry more about on the ground. I have had a few friends here in CT that have ran into some impressive sized bears in the deer woods in recent years. Some encounters don't sound like what some of the guys are are claiming as far as the bears running away so readily. They may leave the area eventually but I am not so sure how afraid most of them are of people and the smell of people as compared to some other areas.

Depends on the Bears in YOUR area. Are they used to Human contact or is it a rare thing to them?

I've called in a HUGE Black Bear while Spring Gobbler Hunting and I was sitting on the ground against a tree base. Caught movement in the corner of my eye and thought it was a Big Gobbler sneaking in. Turned out to be a Huge Black Bear. He was hunting Turkey same as I was. I stayed very very still and watched him look around for the sounds he had heard coming from that area, then the Flock of Birds I was working just over the edge of the Ridge started talking again. He eased over to the edge and when he spotted them, Charged down over to try and get one. Turkeys Flew Everywhere. I have no idea IF he was successful of not. I DO KNOW I got up and eased out of there.

He was about 30 yards from me during the Encounter.

I also heard something outside one day when I was living in an old Mobile Home that I had built a deck on. I stepped outside on the deck and something about that Bag of Garbage that didn't look right. Then I realized why as the Two Black Eyes looking at me over the edge of the Bag sunk in. I stepped back inside the Trailer and told the wife and kids that there was a Big Bear on the porch, of course they didn't believe me. Then the Dog that was on his chain near the front end of the trailer and the opposite side of the porch started barking as he realized the Bear was there, which made the Bear leave. He walked past the front end of my Plymouth Trail Duster (think Dodge Ram Charger) and his Back was EVEN with the top of the Hood. Yup he was a Biggin'. Oh and he was about 7 ft from me to his head and he was standing on the ground leaning onto the Porch to get into the Bag.

Heck I had a Huge WOLF walk through my Set up when I was sitting on a chair in a brush pile one year. That one shook me up, never seen one before, found out later that a Wolf Preserve about 12-15 Miles from our Property had lost a few during Hurricane Micheal. Made me feel better that I wasn't crazy when I said I saw one anyway.

Point is, You spend enough time in the Woods and you WILL see things and experience things that most folks NEVER will. That's part of the beauty of it all. Best is to just Keep Your Head and usually things will work out. Wildlife is more Afraid of You than you are of them for the Most Part, the few that aren't is why you carry a back up System on you at all times.

I had a bobcat come in to my turkey calling once. He was at about 4 feet to my right! My 5 year old was with me on my left. All eyes got big but the cat didn't give us any trouble.

I had a bobcat come in to my turkey calling once. He was at about 4 feet to my right! My 5 year old was with me on my left. All eyes got big but the cat didn't give us any trouble.

I’ve heard of guys getting jumped on as in attacked by a Bobcat while calling turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No baiting here. No bear hunting here either. I am deer hunting. This year we have seen a few different bears on camera some with a cub or two. That is the situation that I worry more about on the ground. I have had a few friends here in CT that have ran into some impressive sized bears in the deer woods in recent years. Some encounters don't sound like what some of the guys are are claiming as far as the bears running away so readily. They may leave the area eventually but I am not so sure how afraid most of them are of people and the smell of people as compared to some other areas.
I didn't realize that there's no bear hunting allowed in Connecticut. That explains the bears showing less fear of man. Too many tree huggers in the legislature?

I didn't realize that there's no bear hunting allowed in Connecticut. That explains the bears showing less fear of man. Too many tree huggers in the legislature?
None here in Florida either, and we are LOADED with them.

They had a 3-Day Season amongst a Protest from the No Hunting Crowd after YEARS of data being shared to the FWC by Hunters and Hound Guys. They had the Black Bear listed as Endangered, which in No Way it is.

Anyway, their idea was to take 300 Bears by Permit Only. They wanted guys to apply and pay for the Permit then after Each Day they would decide if the Hunt would continue OR if enough had been taken to reach the 300 Mark. They hit the 300 Mark about Mid-Morning the First Day. What that Proved was there were WAY MORE Bears than the State thought.

However the Anti's went crazy. It was an Election Year for the Governor and with the No Bear Hunt Crowd running wild, he put pressure on the FWC to End the Bear Hunt Permanently. And so they did. Hunters are still crying out to start it again but the No Bear Hunt Crowd is very Organised and they shout it down as soon as it comes up each time.

None here in Florida either, and we are LOADED with them.

They had a 3-Day Season amongst a Protest from the No Hunting Crowd after YEARS of data being shared to the FWC by Hunters and Hound Guys. They had the Black Bear listed as Endangered, which in No Way it is.

Anyway, their idea was to take 300 Bears by Permit Only. They wanted guys to apply and pay for the Permit then after Each Day they would decide if the Hunt would continue OR if enough had been taken to reach the 300 Mark. They hit the 300 Mark about Mid-Morning the First Day. What that Proved was there were WAY MORE Bears than the State thought.

However the Anti's went crazy. It was an Election Year for the Governor and with the No Bear Hunt Crowd running wild, he put pressure on the FWC to End the Bear Hunt Permanently. And so they did. Hunters are still crying out to start it again but the No Bear Hunt Crowd is very Organised and they shout it down as soon as it comes up each time.
That's not wildlife management, that sounds like the governor giving in to mob rule.

You can kill a man here with less sentence than a bear. Bear kill illegal is $5000 and year jail time. Bear hunters take it serious. I think 3 bear limit is the reg again this year beginning in late August thru January for season. They can run the dang dogs year round in "training". Good portion of the group are arrogant SOBs that think all the land is theirs for them even tho we have millions of acres of public land to hunt.

Bears are quite common and I meet up with them regularly thru out the year on my farm. Never a problem but still can scare the crap out of you when you jump one from a thicket. And I once tried the "wave the arms over the head and shout" recommendation for black bear encounter. The four bears just stood there at 20 yards laughing at me and wondering what the hell was I doing. I'm sure they all laughed about it around their table that night as they ate my blackberries I'm never allowed to harvest.

Quiter than any deer going thru the woods, or can sound like a locomotive. I see them often enough to usually have names for them. Never touch my stuff and I've had them sit within 20 yards while I changed cards in camera. I can tolerate them better than the bear hound hunters.

Back