Best tree tube and stakes

weekender21

Who makes the best tree tubes? Is there a big difference between the brands? I've been eyeing Sunflex tubes from Plantra and Miracle tubes from Tree Pro.

I used the treeprotection tubes for the last 500 I got,if ordering enough you can deal sometimes as shipping is what kills you.Some states are offering in their cost share now also.There are advantages and disadvantages to both type of stakes i have tried.The treated wood can warp and break and the plastic conduit are cheap but if you don't bury bottom of tube it can twist around stake.I ran 1 wrap of gorilla tape around top of stake and tube to stop this on mine.Cheapest way is to find some people to go in and order abunch as a pallet is the way larger quantities ship

Very happy with my 700 five foot "Tree Pro Max Grow Tube" from TPS. Started 4? years ago with rebar stakes but have 1/2" pvc conduit on most.

I always use the Miracle Tubes. I can tell you, however, that the best stake is a t-post or piece of rebar. I've tried everything else.

Miracle tubes from TPS and 1/2 metallic conduit for stakes. Found it way easier to pound in the ground than pvc and is very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, TPS walking away with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Check around, Weekender, since you are in NC/ or Hawaii you lucky dog, I bought my Tubex from one of TPS suppliers near Charlottesville VA, when TPS was out of stock. They were super people to deal with, not really set up for retail but got my order in 2 days. Actually talked to the fellow for half an hour about little of everything that day. I'm not near my info right now but you should be able to google and track them down. Got a better price.

I've used Tubex Combitubes, Miracle Tubes, and Ben Meadows Plastic Rigid Mesh. The latter aren't worth the time and effort.
The build quality of the Combitubes is better. They're easier to push into the ground. The Miracle Tubes are white vs. light green and a bit more translucent. I haven't had either installed long enough to determine differences in growth due to increased light.
A third option which hasn't been discussed is wire fencing and weed mats. More labor to install/make, but the trees may harden off better without a substantial difference in growth 5 years down the road. If you have a good source of chicken wire, it may be a cheaper option.
For stakes, I will never install wood again. Warping, rotting, and the weight of them (for transport) is an issue. I used 1/2" pvc, and I was surprised at how quick it was to cut several hundred 5' lengths. The cost came to only $0.60/stake, which is tough to beat.

That's too bad about the plastic rigid mesh. I bought a few in case I had trees to big to get a standard tube over. The plan was to use them on the more mature trees (only the ones I can't get a tube on) then cage them. I'm planning to cage all trees in addition to the tubes. That will go out the window if I plant more than a few dozen trees.

So it sounds like the Tubex and Miricle tubes (Tree Protection Supply and Tree Protector) are both good options. Are the Sunflex tubes from Plantra less popular because of they cost more or are they actually a lesser product?

Thanks for all the help, this site rocks!

Tubex. I also do buy the fiberglass rods from Plantra though.

One big thing I like about Tubex is the flared top. I had all kinds of plantra tubes from years past, and their non-flared edge on top has rubbed through the cambium on lots of trees. I've had to go back and cut the tops down once the tree reached above the safe browse line to keep it from any further damage.

I use 5' combitubes and a few other ones from a member on here. It's pretty hard to drive PVC into our rock so I use 3/4" EMT from Lowes @ .75 for a 5' section. Works OK but now that trees are getting bigger they are starting to fall down.

I have been very happy with the 5' Tree Pro Max Grow Tubes from TPS. I used t posts I found on craigslist for under a $1 each. Tall enough to keep out of browse level from deer after they emerge.

Just curious, what are all of you doing once the trees emerge from the tubes?
Just letting them grow...
cb44a628188c84f10d2addd7cf93412b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back