best deer photos since I've owned this farm

willy

IMG_18811.jpg IMG_18822.jpg IMG_18833.jpg I saw this buck twice during season. Both times to far away with cbow. My range is 40 yards and he was at 70 once and 100 another. He was shot on opening morning of rifle on the neighbor's, about 300 yards from where my first time buck hunting cousin was sitting. At least the buck got to hopefully pass on his dna.

FL, on that farm we don't shoot does as it has a low deer density in the area. I know we have a couple does that are at least ten years old as they were adults when we first saw them. They have specific identification markers. One we call bob tail as she has just a 4" tail. We thought it resulted from a coyote but she throws offspring that have the same tail style(around 40%). She always has twin or trips. This past year she started with twins but ended with one in the fall. She's showing her age and is the boss bitch of the farm. If a deer is in her clan they are in, if not they get the short end of the stick until she leaves the area.

The deer in this area seem to be large bodied. The only buck I weighed came it at 244 dressed and the buck I got Nov.'18 was bigger. I would say the other bucks we have taken there have been close to the one I weighed. Our goal is 4.5 years old and older.

Just what happens in Nebraska. They get any size, the neighbor shoots them. Man, how many times have I heard that song.

Just what happens in Nebraska. They get any size, the neighbor shoots them. Man, how many times have I heard that song.
The neighbors finally started to hunt their place smarter. They were an asset for me mostly but this season they moved the stand to the only place it should be and they will kill big deer the first day of rifle. After that they will not be on their side of the fence. They don't get the idea of trying to enter the stand or leaving without spooking deer. They don't play the wind but where the stand is, the only way a wind will screw them is s a northeast wind and that is very rare here. They put in a ten by ten by shack that they hunt out of now. It's a different style than I bet any of us on this forum hunt but they have fun.

I just have to try harder to get a deer I want before rifle opens. They don't hunt until rifle season.

Great picture ! My best friend’s son and I, (he was about 14/15 at the time), watched a 2.5 year old ten point breed a 1.5 year old doe from 2:30 pm until nearly dark once. I lost count of the times he topped her, but it was a bunch. She would just lay down and rest between trysts, poor thing was worn out ! The boy was wide-eyed for the first few times, but then it got to be old hat for both of us. The funniest part was when a 1.5 year old buck approached for a little corn the older buck took one step toward him and the youngun hooked up to the wagon. He was GONE !

The neighbors finally started to hunt their place smarter. They were an asset for me mostly but this season they moved the stand to the only place it should be and they will kill big deer the first day of rifle. After that they will not be on their side of the fence. They don't get the idea of trying to enter the stand or leaving without spooking deer. They don't play the wind but where the stand is, the only way a wind will screw them is s a northeast wind and that is very rare here. They put in a ten by ten by shack that they hunt out of now. It's a different style than I bet any of us on this forum hunt but they have fun.

I just have to try harder to get a deer I want before rifle opens. They don't hunt until rifle season.
My Brother is one of those guys. Each time he moves to hunt a different area he has to build a new "cabin". He puts posts in then builds a 8x10 or a 6x8 building on top of that, usually with metal green siding. Then he insulates it, puts in Propane Wall Mount Stove, Battery Radio, and Sliding Windows.

He built his first one spitting distance from the Tree I built a leaning stand on and shot a bunch of Opening Day Bucks out of. After I moved to FL one of our Cousins used to call him to ask If I was coming back to hunt and if he could use it. He also shot a bunch of Opening Day Bucks out of it. So my Brother finally woke up and took it over.

I hunted out of it with him two years. I don't like it. I prefer to be at least where I can see, smell and hear whats happening around me. Plus I could see so much better out of my old stand than he can out of his Cabin. I shot a nice Buck Opening Day one year and he shot one the 2nd Day out of it. At least we were together for both days. The 2nd year he had shot a Buck in Archery so it was just me hunting. He slept most of time with the radio on. I had a chance on 1 Buck the last day there, but the noise the sliding window made scared it away.

Last two times I went back I talked him into putting up a Ladder Stand in a different location for me to hunt in. Just prefer it that way.

To each their own style.

Back