Are pears true to seed?

j-bird

I know apples are not true to seed and thus need to be grafted for best results......are pears the same way? Reason I ask is that I know of a pear that is still holding fruit that I am very interested in......trying to figure out if I need to get some materials for grafting or if I need to simply collect a fruit or two and plant to get the same fruit holding traits.

I'm no expert but I believe the answer is yes they are the same as an apple. You need to graft to get the same as the parent tree. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more experience.

I have grown several pears from seed. The first four have produced and were NOT true to the mother tree. I am hoping some turn out true.

No, they will be variable just like apples.

Some pear varieties are also hybrids. Kieffer is a hybrid between a Asian Sand Pear and a European.

In some wild fruit tree communities you can find species that over time appear to be true to seed, but even within those there will be some minor variability between individual specimens. Example - Southern Crabapple. If not cross pollinated by another species outside the area, seedlings will be much the same but with minor differences.

I spread a lot of pear seeds in Iowa and they looked pretty true to me.

From seed.

9 15 Farm 490 (800 x 600).jpg

9 15 Farm 494 (800 x 600).jpg

I thought as much, but I knew you guys would know better...... Just another case for me to learn how to graft!

If you have any of those bradfords around that grow from seed they can be transplanted and grafted. We had 30 in our field this year we bush hogged around. Not any certain rootstocks but atleast they get removed and we find some use from them at the same time. I see them all the time driving around here you may have some there too

If you have any of those bradfords around that grow from seed they can be transplanted and grafted. We had 30 in our field this year we bush hogged around. Not any certain rootstocks but atleast they get removed and we find some use from them at the same time. I see them all the time driving around here you may have some there too

Good point Daniel. I topworked one to a Hunter's Choice and another to a Kieffer this spring, and they have taken off like rockets. Good thing I added the cane bracing or the wind would have probably broken them off by now, since they got so tall.

Back