Apple (or pear) Sauce

Doctorbrady

OK fellas. You asked for it, you got it. Apple and pear sauce are both very easy to make, and a very tasty way to use your excess fruit.

There are a lot of ways to process the fruit. If you are so inclined, you can peel and core the fruit by hand. For apples, I use a "push" style of apple corer/slicer. Pears are cut into quarters by hand. The core of the pear is easily removed from quartered fruit with a small paring knife. It is typically darker and harder than the surrounding fruit and can be carved out of the quarters.
Once cores are removed, place the fruit in a large stock pot, and add a couple of cups of water or apple juice. I usually just use water. Cook on high heat until the liquid boils, then simmer on low for 10-15 minutes until the fruit is soft but not quite mushy. I usually add sugar to taste at this point. I also like to add cinnamon to my sauce to taste.
Once the fruit is softened it is ready to turn to sauce. If you peeled your fruit, then mashing completes the process. If you left the skin on (as I do), then you will need to run the fruit through a food press or food mill. I used to use this process, but it is fairly work intensive for large batches. If you have a high quality blender/food processor like a Vitamix or Ninja, the fruit can be blended skin and all. If your sauce needs any additional sugar or cinnamon, you can add it at this time.
To preserve your bounty, you will need to freeze it or can it. It can be canned in a hot water bath for 20 minutes or in a pressure cooker at 6 pounds of pressure for about 8 minutes. Give this recipe a shot. I bet you enjoy it!
2016-09-01 2016-09-01 001 001 (640x480).jpg

I processed about 40 pounds of pears this afternoon! Way too much for a casual afternoon of canning. I also came across a VERY important bit of information if you are going to process your pears with a blender of food processor that I didn't have with the food mill. You will likely have a lot of grit to deal with that will need to be strained from the sauce, some types of pears more than others. I used a fine wire sieve. Like the food mill it was a bit time intensive, but if you skip this step your sauce will be very gritty.

Back