App for measuring acreage

They use GIS data, they’re lines will only be as accurate as your states/counties GIS mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our county GIS lines are off by up to 100 yards or more in some instances. I know of a line that shows on the west side of a big ravine, but the actual marked line is on the east side of the ravine, with a recent survey map to back it up. If a hunter goes by the tax map or an app that gets its info from public databases they could get a trespassing fine. THE IMPORTANT PART IS: if you are walking through unfamiliar woods, always look for markers, and if you come to markers that don't agree with your handheld device and you are not sure, always go by the markers.

Our county GIS lines are off by up to 100 yards or more in some instances. I know of a line that shows on the west side of a big ravine, but the actual marked line is on the east side of the ravine, with a recent survey map to back it up. If a hunter goes by the tax map or an app that gets its info from public databases they could get a trespassing fine. THE IMPORTANT PART IS: if you are walking through unfamiliar woods, always look for markers, and if you come to markers that don't agree with your handheld device and you are not sure, always go by the markers.

Absolutely. OnX and similar apps aren’t a viable excuse in most states.

Do you need imagery for the fields area map? I’m looking for something you can just walk. Google hasn’t updated my area since 2013.

I just drew several new roads through a big area of woods on Google "My Maps while sitting in my office, now I will go out in the woods and walk it and mark it with ribbon for the bulldozer. I'll drop pins as I walk to mark onsite changes, then go back to the office (to be able to work on a bigger screen) and revise my road to the as-built version. This provides up-to-date local mapping for us so that when we're out hunting we can instantly see if we're close to the road.

Surprisingly enough, most GIS boundary lines that are shown on county Real Property interactive sites are fairly close to, or close enough for the average person. If the parcel has had a recent boundary survey completed then it will be implemented into the GIS line work and will be very accurate geo-spatialy.

I tell all my clients that I complete a boundary survey on to file it with the county so the line work of your property is correct. Chances are, if the boundary line work is incorrect on the GIS sites (OnX, Huntstand, etc.) then the parcel has never had a boundary survey completed.

Like previously mentioned by @Mennoniteman, You should be going off from boundary line evidence that you visually see on the ground rather than a line on your phone.

I think I'm on my third year of using OnX.. I use the dang thing for everything.

Anyone ever find an issue with the measurements or lot lines? I find it really close to my surveyors measurements. Also, I do find it cumbersome to draw the measurements on my IPAD for calculations. Great for distance, but when I try to draw around a location for size its a real PIA. ..Maybe I need a pen or something to draw it out on the screen?
I use OnX a fair amount, for ceryain things. I do find inaccuracies with it. Sometimes it will show property corners that are 60 feet or more away from the actual surveyor pins. I see it on my own property where I know the precise lines and pin locations.

Back