Anybody use a bicycle???

greenheadguy

Hey guys, I was a long time lurker over at the other site. Not by my choice. I tried several different user names over the course of a few years and never could post on that site. I'm not computer illiterate so not sure what the issue was. Lots of emails with no response.... whatever.

My question for you guys is does anyone use a bike to get to their stand? I have several stands that are probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile from where I'm comfortable parking without alerting everything on the properties to my arrival. I've been looking at the new "fat tire" mountain bike style units and think I could set one up to haul all my gear. I'm hoping it would turn a 20-30 minute perspiration inducing hike into a 5 minute, silent approach. Wondering too how it'd handle a little snow on the ground.

Thanks fellas for the endless bounty of information you've shared.....

I have in the past. Bought a cheap mountain bike at Walmart and painted it flat black. Strapped bow and pack to my stand and rode in. Early season you are still got to get sweaty even when it is fairly cool. Only killed once on a ride in hunt. It was a young doe. Boned out the hams, got straps and loins as well as shoulders in the pack, strapped it all together and rode out. Really works well with a decent gravel or dirt road. Not sure about the fat tire bike, haven't been on one.

I used one three years on a property I used to hunt, and it worked great. I would definitely look for one of the fat tire bikes tho. The cheap Walmart tires I had on mine don't care too much for tree roots and rocks. I mounted the gun/bow holders on the handlebars, and bit worked really well too. Give it a shot!

Years ago I did for one season. I was out of state in Southern Ohio. They had a stream that ran about 5 miles and they had a paved section of narrow roadway that run north and south with that stream. I had a great hunting spot but it was about in the middle. We were hunting for a week. I went to a Treasure Shop in the small town and purchased a nice used bike for $12. I only had to get the tires aired up. It worked great. I just now gave that bike away.

If I was hunting woods I would get the proper tires for the rough terrain. I don't hunt as hard or as far from truck as I did back them.

My buddy used one on my place for a while. Especially in the early season he wanted to shave time of his walk to the stand so he took his bike. I can see it being faster, and maybe even leave less scent on the ground. He followed the equipment access routes on my farm so it was pretty easy going for him. We always use a tractor to bring the deer to the house so he didn't have to worry about that issue either.

I'm pretty uncoordinated so riding a bike with all my stuff is asking for trouble - not sure how "iffy" weather conditions would affect that.

Never used a bike but I'm comfortable on foot and the ground off of the roads is rocky here (big rocks that are easier to walk over than ride, and I use to mountain bike race a little). I have a couple of stands that are just over two miles from the closest I can drive/park, being able to ride a path would be nice.
Good idea.

I used to hunt the Hatchie River Refuge in Tn. No motorized vehicles allowed but they had gravel roads throughout I guess so the park officials and such could get into the area. The roads were blocked off by a gate. I shot my first deer with a bow after walking in about a mile past one of those gates. Dragging that little buck a mile back to the truck was tough! The gravel wore the hair off and it was like dragging a 100 lb leather sack. Two days later I went back into the same area with my brothers mountain bike. What a difference ! This area was relatively flat and as mentioned had roads to ride on. I could hunt farther back than most anyone else that was walking in. I loved it.
If your terrain is not too hilly I think it's a great way to go. I don't think a little snow would be much trouble either. Give it a try and let us know how it works .
If you don't mind getting your bike bloody its also a great way to haul them out although it looks a bit goofy walking next to a bike with a dead deer strapped to it.

I used one to chase Osceolas on Florida Public Land for several years. Great way to get away from the pack, and get there first.

If you have a good road/trail system a fat tire bike and a bicycle trailer might be something to look into. On the low end of the price range you could have the setup for around $250.

We are quite active in our local mountain biking community. The fat tire bikes are exactly what the experienced folks use to ride all winter long in ice and snow. Also many set up their bikes to carry in chainsaws or other tools for trail maintenance so a bow and gear is feasible. I've even seen single wheel trailers.

This is exactly why this forum rocks. Thanks for the replies fellas, I think I'm going bike shopping.
Been about 8 years since I purchased that used bike. Is it possible to purchase a used bike and then retrofit it with the fat tires suitable for rough trails and terrain?

I don't know - why I asked?

Hey guys, I was a long time lurker over at the other site. Not by my choice. I tried several different user names over the course of a few years and never could post on that site. I'm not computer illiterate so not sure what the issue was. Lots of emails with no response.... whatever.

My question for you guys is does anyone use a hunting ebike to get to their stand? I have several stands that are probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile from where I'm comfortable parking without alerting everything on the properties to my arrival. I've been looking at the new "fat tire" mountain bike style units and think I could set one up to haul all my gear. I'm hoping it would turn a 20-30 minute perspiration inducing hike into a 5 minute, silent approach. Wondering too how it'd handle a little snow on the ground.

Thanks fellas for the endless bounty of information you've shared.....
Has anyone used one of these fat tire e-bike for hunting yet? Picked one up this year and thinking on giving it a try going to and from the stand. Waiting to hear back from DNR to see if there are any special rules that apply to transport/carry in this situation.

Back