Anybody else ready to get in the woods?

JDunham

Sitting on stand this morning hoping this week is a quick one. Why? Because it is the last week of deer season and I can get back into the woods and start some of my habitat improvement projects once the season is over! I find myself anticipating the end of season almost as much as the beginning anymore. I really enjoy the months between December and May when I do my habitat improvement projects. I spend a good portion of my time on stand thinking about what I need to do to the property that off season. Anybody else get as amped as I do for their habitat work?

I did get to reap the rewards of last winters work just before it was time to climb out. This old girl and her two button bucks came through. She headed home with me.

To hunt.....yes! We still have 2 more months of our season in Ohio! Gotta get a deer still......been sad year for me

But I am also anxious for habitat work too!

Sitting on stand this morning hoping this week is a quick one. Why? Because it is the last week of deer season and I can get back into the woods and start some of my habitat improvement projects once the season is over! I find myself anticipating the end of season almost as much as the beginning anymore. I really enjoy the months between December and May when I do my habitat improvement projects. I spend a good portion of my time on stand thinking about what I need to do to the property that off season. Anybody else get as amped as I do for their habitat work?

I did get to reap the rewards of last winters work just before it was time to climb out. This old girl and her two button bucks came through. She headed home with me.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday afternoon which was our last day of rifle season. I have big plans so time to get busy...

Nope I'm sorry but I can't agree. I love what I do to my place and its all for this season truthfully. I've hunted more seasons than I care to admit but for me, it's all about the hunt and I will go to the bitter end, good or bad. I love the hunt and don't have time for women work or hobbies, well ok maybe slight time for women. I hunt 2 other properties than mine plus public land, which keep me hopping, and I hope I can continue to be relentless in this habit for years to come. But to each his own, I get it. My chainsaw will come out soon enough.

Nope I'm sorry but I can't agree. I love what I do to my place and its all for this season truthfully. I've hunted more seasons than I care to admit but for me, it's all about the hunt and I will go to the bitter end, good or bad. I love the hunt and don't have time for women work or hobbies, well ok maybe slight time for women. I hunt 2 other properties than mine plus public land, which keep me hopping, and I hope I can continue to be relentless in this habit for years to come. But to each his own, I get it. My chainsaw will come out soon enough.
I will hunt our deer lease with archery equipment until the 15th of January or I tag a buck. Our home 80 has been hunted enough with all the fence sitters. I eased in yesterday morning and bumped a doe and fawn near my stand and they ran east off of our property. A little later I heard 2 shots over there and the fawn ran back my way mewing. I watched the fawn about 20 minutes and then it went back to where momma was and I heard 3 more shots as soon as it crossed the fence. It's constantly like this around our place...I guess the word is out so find a trail from our land out and sit on it.

I actually think Habitat work on our home 80 is going to begin the opening day of rifle season if I can get it done with bow and muzzleloader earlier like I am hoping. I want all the bells and whistles including a dozer if I can get them in. That way the gravy train trails from our borders won't be quite as productive next fall and folks can hunt their own 10 acre hunting camps they bought adjoining us for the deer they are supporting...

I still have a couple of weeks of guns in the woods so I gott'a wait yet. I already have my list ready....and already there is more there than I have time for.

I have one big project to do and some smaller ones. I'm debating right now about doing the big job first or last. :)

What kind of rifle is that there JDunham? Thats a nice looking piece

Newest addition to our gun safe. 6.5x47 Lapua that I had built by Bob Green in York, PA last spring.

Stiller Predator Action
Bartlein Barrel (8 twist) in Rem Mag Sporter contour 22.5"
Jewell Trigger
Mcmillan Classic stock
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 that I stole off another rifle in the safe.

5th deer it has taken this year with Nosler 130 Accubonds. Rifle is a tack driver and I am smitten with it. This deer is the only one I have shot with it, my son has claimed the rifle after two beautiful bucks and a couple doe.

I hunt as hard as anybody and spend my whole year getting ready for these two and a half months. After two months of being pounded, our deer herd is pretty tough to put a tag on and the good bucks are pretty much strictly nocturnal or dead. In all honesty, I am exhausted after a few months of early mornings and sitting in the woods all season. I am anxious to start checking cameras after the last day to see which bucks made it for sure and to make the hunting even better next year with some habitat work. I thoroughly enjoy the habitat work and seeing it improve the herd/habitat/hunting over time. Have a pretty good list for this winter and have started putting together the seed order for spring.

I agree Dunham. From day one in October i am taking notes on what is working and what needs improved on. I would start habitat work next week, except i dont want to run deer off the property to keep from Kubota's deer's fate.
I anticipate that someday i will have screens all planted and grown in. All funnels made. All junk trees hinged, etc... but there isnt enough hours in an off season to get that done now. I do what i can and in May i call it off except for food plot activities.
I love watching deer use the improvements ive made over 3 years.

Im like Fish, I sit in my stand from day one making notes on what I want to do when its over. Our seasons are done but now the snow is dumping so not sure how much I will get done. Im thinking of starting after the holidays as long as the snow doesnt get too much deeper. If it does, I'll make my notes and prioritize and dream of spring!

I dont have to worry about running deer off because as soon as the snow covers the plots they are long gone to wintering yards.

Back