Any Ruger 10/22 builds out there?

Foragefarmer

I have had the same Ruger 10/22 since I was 12 or 13. I am 47 now. Good grief that is 35 years! Well it is a little beat up to say the least. So after many years of wanting to give it a few upgrades I have finally broken down and ordered a few things for it.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing what others have done to theirs.

First gun I ever bought when I was probably 12 or 13 (I am closing in on 40 pretty quick). The only modification I made to mine was buying a take off stock at a gun show and cutting three inches off for the kid to use. I need to buy him his own and take mine back! Or build me an expensive one!

I had a few pass through my gun cabinet and if I were to own one now,the first thing I would do is get a trigger job. The stock trigger is terrible.Then I'd look put one of the carbon fibre barrels on. My hunting buddy set one up with the carbon barrel , laminated thumbhole stock and trigger job and it is superbly accurate and make even me a better off hand shot . I considered doing the same thing, but set up a Ruger 77/22 instead.

Sounds like a bunch of us have owned 10/22's a long time. Bought mine for $92 in the early 80's. It now wears a lightweight Volquartson tensioned barrel, Butler Creek stock and a Power Custom trigger kit. Shoots great, but it was also extremely accurate with the factory skinny barrel.
IMAG0090 - Copy (1024x768).jpg

I have been wanting to do something with my 10/22 for a long time. Two things happened; I smoothed the trigger last winter which helped the gun a lot and .22 is available and reasonably priced again.

Even with a smoothed up trigger there are still issues. As anyone with a 10/22 knows the over travel on the trigger is large. So last night i took the trigger out and put it in my drill press and added a set screw to the trigger blade.

IMG_3483.jpg

I have been wanting to do something with my 10/22 for a long time. Two things happened; I smoothed the trigger last winter which helped the gun a lot and .22 is available and reasonably priced again.

Even with a smoothed up trigger there are still issues. As anyone with a 10/22 knows the over travel on the trigger is large. So last night i took the trigger out and put it in my drill press and added a set screw to the trigger blade.

View attachment 10854
Now you're talkin'. Fixing the creepy and gritty part is also big.

Lol, hope you don't ever intend to take it apart. :)

Great posts guys. I love to see what people do to their guns. Cool stuff.

I think that is why the manufacturer recommends adding a film of anti seize to the barrel extension. I was able to adjust it in the vise with a rubber mallet for the V block installation.

Better than the factory barrel that fell out of the receiver.:D

That's it, now I have to keep an eye out for a donor 10/22! How about some before and after groups?

Last edited:
That's it, now I have to keep an eye out for a donor 10/22! How about some before and after groups?

Can't do the before. I can do the after. I got it sighted in today with some CCI Blazer so nothing special. But I can say it is a no excuses gun. I am tickled with it. I shot my Mk II Competition today as well and there were a bunch of smiles.

IMG_3487.jpg

A friend; that has a custom 10/22 with a KIDD barrel as well, is supposed to come over maybe next weekend and says he is going to bring some Midas + with him.

A long time ago I went out and bought about every different brand off 22 ammo I could get my hands on. Sure is nice to try multiple loads in new guns. The Volquartsen barrel prefers Remington Club , but shoots many different types well. My go-to ammo for plinking and hunting is Remington Golden Bullet 36gr HP. I've never owned a gun that wouldn't shoot it acceptably. On the other hand, never had much luck with the 40 gr solid version of the same ammo.IMG_20180114_154017789 (1024x768) - Copy.jpg

I have a Volquartsen Mossad sniper 10/22. My favorite branded rifle. I prefer the finger groove sporter for a start of a factory build. Done a few of those. You can customize a 10/22 until your wallet is empty.

Got out and shot the 10/22 at 50 yards today. It was windy so I had some stringing with the Midas +.;) I only shot one group with the Midas +.

IMG_3497.jpg

Great shooting!
Here's my boy's 10/22.
65b270d358952acc9753f2f766c621ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I need to find one on the used rack. Hate to spend $250-300 on a new one just for the receiver and bolt!

Back