Antlers With Hairline Grooves?

Mennoniteman

One of our guys got this buck in Missouri this past fall, and the entire surface of the antlers are very consistently spiderwebbed with hairline cracks, these are actually grooves that you can feel with a fingernail. I'm very puzzled as to the cause of this?
acc04cceaeaff8a1acfa5d6fcbeb870a.jpg

One of our guys got this buck in Missouri this past fall, and the entire surface of the antlers are very consistently spiderwebbed with hairline cracks, these are actually grooves that you can feel with a fingernail. I'm very puzzled as to the cause of this?
acc04cceaeaff8a1acfa5d6fcbeb870a.jpg

Just to clarify, they aren’t actually grooves scratched into the antler like he may have gotten stuck in barbed wire or something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, they aren’t actually grooves scratched into the antler like he may have gotten stuck in barbed wire or something similar?

The lines are engraved into the surface like fine engraving on metal, but they are too consistent to be barbed wire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have found sheds that have portions of the surface that “flake” off with several other cracks and grooves. It’s essentially a delamination. I always assumed is was due to a deficiency while the velvet antlers were finishing hardening. It seems too widespread to be genetic.

I have found sheds that have portions of the surface that “flake” off with several other cracks and grooves. It’s essentially a delamination. I always assumed is was due to a deficiency while the velvet antlers were finishing hardening. It seems too widespread to be genetic.

In that area of Missouri the soil is very rich, one theory might be that the antlers are growing very quickly but lack one essential mineral?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back