Another Oak ID

KSQ2

Dawna’s grandma and grandpa planted an acorn in their front yard less than 10 years ago. The tree began producing acorns within 5 years, and grew like a weed. They gave me some of the acorns several years ago and I did nothing with them.:rolleyes: If I remember right they we’re about the same diameter as a nickel. They have since sold the house, but the new homeowners said they would be glad to get some acorns to our aunt and uncle for me. The nuts were too high to reach right now and they haven’t begun dropping yet. With the fast growth and the early production, would this be a hybrid of some kind? Here’s a picture of a leaf they sent.
CBA1FEAD-5BEE-4CF6-9A52-68A78BCAC246.jpegBy the way, the tree is located in Yukon, OK.

Post oaks are very abundant in central OK where your parent tree is located. It might be any one of 10 post oak hybrids ... the attached articles will provide you with great information about post oaks.
Genetics ... from article 3
"The great variation in post oak and its tendency to hybridize creates a number of varieties and hybrids. The following hybrids with Quercus stellata have been recognized (10): Q. alba (Q. x fernowii Ti-el.); Q. bicolor (Q. x substellata Trel.); Q. durandii (Q. x macnabiana Sudw.); Q. havardii (unnamed); Q. lyrata (Q. x sterrettii Trel.); Q. macrocarpa (Q. x guadalupensis Sarg.); Q. minima (Q. x neo-tharpii A. Camus); Q. mohriana (unnamed); Q. prinoides (Q. x stelloides Palmer); Q. prinus (Q. x bernardiensis W. Wolf); Q. virginiana (Q. x harbisonii Sarg.)."

Article #1 They are known to be difficult to transplant ... I'd direct seed them in groups of 3 and not attempt to grow them in containers.
Attached article 1 says ... " They don’t always thrive in urban settings, and they’re notorious for being difficult – if not outright impossible – to transplant. Their demanding nature makes them prone to what tree care professionals call Rapid Decline." I'd suggest ... direct seed best

While monoecious, they are wind pollinated and seem to do best when planted relatively close to other trees of the same species ... small groups of 3 would hopefully ensure strong pollination while offering some protection against the "Rapid decline of post oak trees" syndrome - .. first noticed in central / northern TX in 2016 and still of concern. see article #1

Hope this info is useful ....
https://treenewal.com/rapid-decline-of-post-oaks-in-north-texas/
https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/trees/plants/post_oak.html
https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/misc/ag_654/volume_2/quercus/stellata.htm

My ecoregion is the Post Oak Savannah

It is the predominant white oak in my area and seems a sporadic/inconsistent producer of acorns

The photo above has the typical appearance of the leaves of trees here

bill

Thanks for the information everybody. Is it typical for post oaks to produce a large number of acorns within 5 years of planting? And after speaking with my wife, her memory is better than mine:D, the acorns were closer to a quarter in diameter than a nickel. Does that sound like a hybrid?

Thanks for the information everybody. Is it typical for post oaks to produce a large number of acorns within 5 years of planting? And after speaking with my wife, her memory is better than mine:D, the acorns were closer to a quarter in diameter than a nickel. Does that sound like a hybrid?

It doesn't sound like a typical Post Oak. You very well may have a hybrid. Normally it would be in the 20 year range before they would be bearing.

Back